GPS and Battery Cable install

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by Alex, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

The first two mods I do on just about every bike I purchase are adding a GPS, and setting up a cable to the battery. The battery cable has two purposes; it can power my Gerbing heated jacket liner, and can be used to charge the battery from a battery tender while in the garage. Here's how I did it on our new CRF250L:

First, you need to remove the seat, with the two bolts at the rear. Then the plastics need to come off. If I remember right, it was only one bolt on the plastic under the seat, but then 3 bolts each for the front shrouds. Naked, she looks like this:

[​IMG]

With the battery easily exposed on the left, it's easy to attach the two sets of cables to the two terminals.

[​IMG]

I used a few zipties to run the GPS cable up the inside of the frame rail and hold it in place. I also used zipties so the pigtail for the Gerbing lead would peek out right in front of that side frame and stay in place.

[​IMG]

The GPS mount is a RAM component, attached to the crossbar via the standard u-bolt mount, with a medium arm going to the cradle for the GPS60Cx:

[​IMG]

Where it is placed from a back view:

[​IMG]

Front view:

[​IMG]

Seems to be solid so far, but will be curious how well it will all hold up. Full resolution pics are available up in this gallery.

Swedie likes this.
  2. gvcrt

gvcrt New Member

H Alex just seen your GPS installation just wondering how is it holding up on the trails.

3. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Good question, Graeme! I haven't had it installed while bouncing around on trails yet. The first time I had the bike on the trailer after I installed the mount, the u-bolt rotated a bit around the bars when it came in contact with a strap, so I removed it. (Not the whole mount, just unscrewed the ram mount part and left the base). I have a hunch that in tough stuff, it might rotate a bit again, unless I can find a way to tighten the u-bolt a bit more, or make the bar that it's connected to a bit more of a high-friction surface. I'll plan to leave it on the next time I go out to test its durability to make sure.

4. gvcrt

gvcrt New Member

It would be good if you could let me know how you get on as I'm looking to install one on my bike
    Regards Graeme

5. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

I had to move the GPS mount to the other side of the bars. It was interfering with the brake cable, and one time when the bike dove quite a bit, it in fact caught on that cable and was pulled down. I re-positioned it all the way to the right hand side of the bars, and tightened the clamps much more than I had prior. After 250 miles of riding on backroads today, some of them reasonably bumpy, it didn't move a bit. Seems like a good long-term solution at this point.

[​IMG]

6. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Hi, I like to fit a wear resistant braid over the cables during installation, especially on a bike that can expect a lot of bouncy riding, a wire shorting to the frame on a remote trail is not ideal, probably just my OCD kicking in...lol

Good photos and explanation, thanks

7. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Not a bad idea! I need to rethink this mount at some point for another reason; it is not holding solidly enough on the bar to keep from rotating over time, no matter how much I tighten it. It's fine for moderate street rides, but anything particularly bumpy and I need to reposition it from time to time.

8. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Maybe some kind of self amalgamating rubber tape around the bar first, I have just ordered a mirror clamp with an 8mm thread and a clamp size of 7/8"
    upload_2016-7-7_22-40-18.png Pair Black Universal 8mm Motorcycle 7/8" Handle Bar Thread Mirror Mount £2.74 delivered from ALIEXPRESS.com

I used a bigger version to hold a tool tube on my Tiger800

Alex likes this.