Gearing up for dirt

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Gear' started by Alex, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

We've been riding for about 15 years, and have a ton of gear for street and also for trackdays. But the protective gear for dirt riding is all new to us, so we've been doing quite a bit of shopping. It took us a couple weekends to finally put everything together from head to toe for myself, my wife, and our 5-year old. Luckily there are a few motorcycle gear shops in the vicinity, and online always works reasonably well too.

For a helmet I went with the AFX DS-39, in hi-vis yellow. It really stands out, is reasonably comfortable, and is very inexpensive:

[​IMG]

I removed the visor, and am using Oakley MX goggles. Both my jersey and pants are from Fox, they look something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The boots that felt best were the Alpinestars Tech 3:

[​IMG]

I believe the gloves were Fox as well, but I'm not sure. For upper body armor, I have one of these from Fox:

[​IMG]

Plus some no-name elbow pads and knee pads. We have a similar, but not identical, getup for the wife and the kid. No more space in the inside gear closet, so all of this unfortunately will live in the garage until I can get storage worked out a bit better. I imagine over time we'll realize what works best for us with this gear, and what doesn't, so it's unlikely that this will be it for awhile. Are we missing anything crucial? Is anyone riding with Leatt braces for normal trail riding?

2. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

Good post! I've been wondering. I come from street and so far have been using my street textiles.

I do have a roost/back protector and gloves. What I don't have is proper off-road boots though I do have proper road boots. I think I'd be better off with those boots you list above as my boots are only the 6" variety by TCX.

Although I ride mostly street anyway, so I'm okay unless I spend more time in the dirt.

3. Firebladepilot

Firebladepilot New Member

How has the helmet been holding up? I've been riding with my Shoi street helmet unless I trailer to the trail then I use my MX helmet. Looking for the best of both worlds so I can stop having to trailer the bike and save $$ in gas.

4. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

I have similar gear for my dedicated dirt days but cant figure out what to wear for "dual sporting." Do you wear this gear on the road or just when you are doing dedicated dirt rides? The dirt boots are hard to shift in and the armor wont protect on the road as well as a regular motorcycle jacket. Guess I need to research more AND spend more money...hehehe

5. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

The helmet has held up just fine; continues to fit well, clean up well, and works just fine. I wouldn't want to wear these boots for extended street rides. All of this gear is just for the dirt-only days so far...

6. XB12X

XB12X New Member

I would wear the same on the dirt as the street. A one-piece kevlar mesh suit with a zip-in waterproof liner. As much protection as anyone needs. www.motoport.com. I am not related to the owner of this business.

7. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

I tend to agree with this ... a nice breathable textile suit (one or two piece) is incredibly versatile. I have been rocking a two piece for years but have been thinking of upgrading to a one piece.

8. JPD

JPD Member

For me "Fox Racing Titan Sport Jacket" and found most versatile for all seasons with a Jersey, rain gear, or a jacket on top.
    10050008_1.JPG
    Easy to clean after a dusty/sweaty ride...hose it down and let drip dry.
    There is cheaper Chinese knock-off available on line.

9. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Looks good!