Corbin Seat

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Farkles' started by Alex, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

I received my Corbin a few days ago. Normally I ride down to have these fitted to the bike, but I was impatient and ordered this one online. I chose the same materials that are in their demo seat, with carbon fiber leather for the seating surface, and asphalt for the sides. I also included the same red welt. When I first tried to put it on, it was quite tight and it didn't look like it was going to fit. But with a bunch of pushing, smacking, and swearing, I was able to get it in place to line up the rear seat bolt holes. I was careful not to crossthread them when getting them back in, and now all is well. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full resolution pictures are available up in this gallery.

JR45 likes this.
  2. beardo

beardo Member

I love Corbin seats. Heck, I have a Corbin on one of my Buells. But, I'm going to try a Seat Concepts from Forrest of Wheeling Cycle Supply. I'll let ya know how it is once I get my mitts on it!

3. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

How does the Seat Concepts seat work; do they send a complete replacement like the Corbin, or do they modify the existing stock seat?

4. turnbuckle

turnbuckle New Member

I have the Seat Concepts seat. It's way better than the stocker, but my butt still gets sore after 3hrs or so.
    They send you the foam & cover and you do the install yourself, or you can ship the seat to them and they'll do it.
    I've done quite a few seats, some from scratch, others with the supplied materials. The only drawback to the Seat Concepts product is that they don't give you much extra material to play with- Makes it a little harder to grab onto and pull tight while stapling.
    Alex, one of these days we gotta meet up & compare farkles, I'd really like to check out the differences between your Corbin & the Seat Concepts.

Here's an example of the Guts Racing seat- nice product with several options (High/low, soft/firm, etc)
    [​IMG]

This one I built myself using Allsport 4 way stretch vinyl ..
    [​IMG]
    This one I ordered the materials from Thumper racing and did the install myself..
    [​IMG]
    It's not that hard with the right tools, just takes a little patience..

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  5. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Great info, thx! Would be happy to compare farkles at some point, maybe a ride out Mines will get me closer to your neck of the woods. Did notice that the GPS mount rotated a bit while tralilering, so I'm not sure it's going to be stable enough long term.

6. beardo

beardo Member

Hmmm, maybe it's another seat he has coming in then. I was told it's a ready to bolt on seat. UNLESS, I mishead what he said. And that's always a possibility.

7. turnbuckle

turnbuckle New Member

8. turnbuckle

turnbuckle New Member

The wife & I ride Hollister all the time, meet up there?
    It has a couple of beginner areas, kiddie tracs, shade, store, camp ground etc and way more room than Metcalf.
    If you've never been there, I think you might enjoy it- Room to swing a cat, so to speak.. ;)

9. beardo

beardo Member

I'm almost positive what he is getting in are complete seats. So that might not be it. I called late last week and was told by Tiff that the seats were shipped and in transit. I'll keep ya posted.

10. turnbuckle

turnbuckle New Member

You talking about this?
    https://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/product/seat-concepts-kitcrf250l/593
    If so, it's the kit, not a complete seat..
    "This kit includes the foam and cover- not the pan."
    If he does get the complete seats in that'd be the cat's meow!

11. beardo

beardo Member

At this point, I'm gonna say 'I don't know' because when I was there last month, Forrest handed me a seat to show me. A whole seat. Not a kit. So maybe it's another seat.

12. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

We'll definitely get there at some point, but for the moment we really are at square one with the little monster. We'll be at the newbie oval at Metcalf next Sunday morning with him. Once he's comfortable to zip around on the flat and easy trails, we can certainly expand our options. Metcalf is 15-20 minutes from our house, while Hollister is an hour away. Definitely doable at some point.

13. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Argh. There's some type of spot on the Corbin seat, about quarter-sized. I think I may have spilled some gas on it, and it may have discolored the leather. I've just cleaned the @*#&(@# out of it quite a bit with Lexol leather cleaner, and followed that up with leather conditioner, but it is still noticeable. I realize that the seat is 90% about improved comfort and capability, but it is a cosmetic upgrade as well.

14. turnbuckle

turnbuckle New Member

You sure the top is made outta leather?
    I checked their site and they make no mention of pure leather for the250L, just the normal talk in circles spiel.
    After it dries and if the spot's still there, go at it with normal soap & water.

15. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

There are all types of coverings you can choose; I chose real leather for the top, and vinyl for the sides. Here's a link to their materials page. Will try different soaps if it remains. But I'm afraid that it's less of a stain, and more a removal of the leather's pigment in that area.

16. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

OK - first relatively long ride on the Corbin this morning (~250 miles). It is reasonably comfy, but it's by no means an all day seat. It gives you room to move around, and you can sit all the way back on the flat part, and slide up to the narrow part in the twisty bits. I found myself standing up from time to time towards the end, which is also easily managed with the narrow front. I still think it's a significant improvement from stock, but it still doesn't turn this bike into a long distance touring machine; proper expectations are key.

munchmeister likes this.
  17. beardo

beardo Member

Sounds like you have never had a Corbin before. Do you realize how long it takes to break them in? A long time...very long!

Mr Natural and Glenlivet like this.
  18. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Believe it or not, this is my 5th seat from the Corbin folks. They are only about an hour away in Hollister. This is only the 2nd one that I didn't go down there to have custom fit though, and I think I'm regretting that. What I've found with them is that they break in a little, but I think there's more of an acclimation from one's particular butt to that particular seat over time. They tend to be more comfortable for long distance riding by providing a larger and more supportive seating area compared to stock. With this seat on our CRF though, it's a bit of a hybrid. The front part is quite narrow, to allow people to stand up and to keep the seat height from being too high. But it doesn't provide much seating area, so it's still significant pressure all around, similar to the stock seat. Then there is the flat back part. This is somewhat useful when on the slab to slide back up and have even some of your upper thigh resting on the seat. The shape isn't particularly comfortable though, and it feels like sitting on a board, that gives only slightly. I took a 160 mile ride on Monday, and it wasn't that comfy from halfway in, with my butt still remembering the 240 miles from the prior day. I certainly plan to give it quite a bit of time to break in a little, but I don't expect it to work wonders.

19. beardo

beardo Member

I'm very familiar with the shape of a Corbin for a dual sport. I had one on my XR650L. And yes, it still took a very long time to break in.

Tell ya what, if you sell, let me know.

20. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

:thumbup: Will do. I still think it's better than the stocker for much of the riding I'll be doing with this bike, and am hopeful that it will continue to break in as you've laid out.