First big "off" in the dirt

Discussion in '!%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!' started by Alex, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

I spent yesterday with a few other families that also have kids on bikes at a kid-friendly dirt park south of us.

[​IMG]

I was getting a little overly comfortable at speed there, and ran straight into a hole that I hadn't seen ahead of time. I hit the hole probably at 50 - 60 mph, it was about 3 feet in diameter, and about 1 - 1.5 feet deep. Unfortunately I didn't clear it, so the front wheel slammed into the far wall with some pretty great force. It knocked the bike up in the air, and knocked me off the side of it. I was fortunately OK, but the bike did take some damage.

Rear brake pedal was taco'd all the way up and around, brake lever was bent, and controls were rotated around. The handlebars were also off-center by at least 10 - 15 degrees, as the forks had twisted quite a bit from the impact. Friends helped me bend the brake pedal back to usable, and the brake lever back in shape as well. We then loosened the triple-tree for the forks, which allowed me to straighten the wheel back to center, and re-tighten. I hope that the forks themselves didn't bend, but they looked reasonably OK afterwards.

Some cosmetic damage to the right side of the bike, but I guess that's what a dirtbike is supposed to look like at some point; it was a little too clean before this get-off. :) Fortunately I didn't do much damage to me, though I am pretty sore on the left side of my body. Nothing that alcohol and/or painkillers won't be able to deal with, I'm hoping.

2. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

Of course the best and most important thing is that YOU are OK! Sorry about the bike but like you said, its a dirt bike and should be a little scuffed up. The first time I took mine out I laid her down twice due to some really muddy ground and I literaly teared up cause I thought I had scratched and scrapped her all up. After a shower and all the mud was gone, the only scratches and scrapes were on the after market brush guards. I was relieved but realized and convinced myself...shiny dirt bikes should only be brand new dirt bikes! Haha!

Glad you are ok! Happy riding!!

((I took the old girl out yestrday to an off road park but Ill start a new post as to not hijack yours hehe)

3. Mike310

Mike310 Member

sounds scary man, glad you're okay

4. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Thx! It's dirt; we're all supposed to fall down there every once in awhile...

5. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Sucks getting old! Shoulder still hurts a bit a week later. Hopefully it will improve a bit this week...

6. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

I straightened out the right hand controls today. It turns out that our bikes don't have a locating pin for them, so when they get bunked they just rotate. Makes it dirt simple to fix, just loosen two bolts and rotate back to where it's supposed to be.

7. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

Sorry to hear that happened; any pics of the damage done to the bike?

8. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

The top group pic is an after pic, but it probably doesn't have the detail you're looking for. :) At this point it would be hard to see much, other than some scuffs on the right hand plastic and dirt where it shouldn't be. But I do wish that I had the foresight to take a picture of the pretzeled brake pedal. I can't believe both how bent around it was, and how easily it was bent back into shape.

9. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

That's good it wasn't too bad; was it the stock brake pedal?

10. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Yes - all levers/pedals still stock.

11. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

Hmm, well hopefully I don't start bending levers when it's warm enough to trail ride where I live.

12. Firebladepilot

Firebladepilot New Member

Glad your OK. Dumped mine a couple of times in one day ( all low speed washouts) Found the Brake and shift levers seem to bend real easy. Did a little research and found that levers from a crf150r will fit and they "fold up" in a crash to avoid bending. Haven't put them on the bike yet but I'll post up how they do.

13. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Good info; would be nice to have more options like that.

14. Firebladepilot

Firebladepilot New Member

Bump

Haven't been on in a while, but I ended up with the Moose Racing levers, A little pricey but well built. Haven't tested them yet, Just can't seem to get out to ride this last year.

Alex likes this.
  15. gbk69

gbk69 New Member

Old thread I know...but man I wrecked good last week. Wife and i made it through some tough trails and miles of beautiful, scenic county and fire roads in Southern Missouri. Was transitioning to pavement for the last 1/10th of a mile to the place we were staying. The throttle I gave it in the dirt ok but man when that rear tire hit pavement the front end shot up and well...I rear braked it down but got some whiskey throttle.

Now I have a broken wrist, bruised ribs, tore up hand & knee.

16. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

Ouch! Hope you heal up fast; riding injuries are no fun. :(

17. Mike310

Mike310 Member

Sorry to hear that! Heal fast!

18. gbk69

gbk69 New Member

Thanks all...a bunch of my buddies are heading out to MOAB today for a week of glorious riding. I was supposed to be with them. Instead I've reverted to my off-season activity - spending more money on the bike!

19. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

I came off my tiger in 2014 on gravel at a standstill in Scotland and broke my shoulder, had three months off work, still not right but it doesn't hurt.
    Hope you get everything sorted, Jeff