Auxiliary lights ?

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by JR45, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

What about shoes for dogs?

2. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

Touche! :p

3. JR45

JR45 Member

That is something that, in the past, I have been required to buy... Purely for medical reasons.

4. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

I had my first "real" night time ride on the CRFL last week. Holey moley ... the stock low beam is rather pathetic for anything greater than 30mph. The high beam is somewhat more useful. I'm definitely looking into auxiliary lighting and better H4 bulb options.

I was rather embarrassed when a friend lit up his 1500 lumen mountain biking head lamp. The CRFL headlight looked like candle light by comparison.

5. JR45

JR45 Member

Hmmm... It obviously depends on what you compare it to...
    Relative to the old ( 6 volt ) KE100 Kawasaki that it replaced, or my Laverda Formula road bike, the headlight on the CRF is like a WW2 searchlight !

6. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

Hahahaha Yall crazy....from lights to women to dogs to shoes! PS...I have only ridden my bike in the dark once or twice and yet I stil would love some extra lights...just think it looks cool. Hhehehehe

7. JR45

JR45 Member

Well... I now have a pair of auxiliary lights mounted on the bottom yoke (that's "triple clamp" for the Americans on here)... Pictures to follow...
    :)

8. JR45

JR45 Member

P6140074.JPG

Attached Files:

9. JR45

JR45 Member

Halford's finest...
    :) P6140075.JPG

10. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Looks good!

11. JR45

JR45 Member

Cheers !
    They do work pretty well...

12. Themosticles49

Themosticles49 New Member

VERY nice. Can you tell us the diameter of the lights? I'd like to do something similar to my CRF, more interested in being seen during the day than viz at night...

13. JR45

JR45 Member

They are elliptical, about 2" x 2.5" - not expensive, about £30 from Halfords if I remember correctly (they had been in a box in the garage for quite a while before I fitted them). Wired using a handlebar mounted switch from e-bay and a relay. They work well at night and are pretty bright in the daytime too...

14. Bigredfan

Bigredfan New Member

well i have installed an aux system and it seems to be holding up pretty well. Dont have specifics here at work but i am willing to share what i have done. i used a cree 10w light. A pair from ebay is like $22 i believe and i found an aftermarket harness at my local honda dealer with a fuse and relay for $25. I did have to shorten the harness but i made it work. Like i said i don't have the specific harness name or info but i'll post it. if anyone wants pics text me at 901-210-4462. My name is Jason and i'll be glad to help any way i can! I also put some connectors on the harness and lights so i can experiment with different light systems. I have run the usual mods Acerebis tank edge tail light and 602 signal lights front and back and made them into running lights front and rear. Now since i dont use the factory signals anymore, i drilled holes in the factory brackets and used that location for aux lights. I'll see if i can post any pics but i can text anyone who wants to see before i get a chance to post

15. JR45

JR45 Member

I made up the entire auxiliary wiring loom (the lights, relay, switch, cables etc) from scratch - I guess 35 years of marine engineering experience comes in handy sometimes :)