Heated hand grip

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by DrGadget, Aug 31, 2016.

1. DrGadget

DrGadget New Member

Hi everyone

I just bought heated hand grips for my bike and would like to install them before it starts to get cold, how easy is it to install? How do I remove the original hand grips? Do I have to destroy the originals or can I get them off clean? I would like to save them if I can, they are pretty much brand new. I tried googling it but info is really limited.

2. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

If you're relatively mechanically inclined it shouldn't be too hard. I've done it on a few bikes with OEM and Oxfords grips.
    If you bought Oxfords they come with super glue which is a mess and you're better off to buy Honda grip glue (or any company's glue for that matter). It'll give you more time to put them into position.
    You can cut them off with a utility knife if you're in a hurry, but be careful on the throttle side as the throttle tube is plastic.
    If you have a compressor you can stick a small screwdriver under the grip and use an air gun (like the one to spray off dust and things in your shop) - they'll pop right off and you could reuse them again later if you like.
    A relay is a good idea so you don't draw from the battery and accidentally discharge it. The Oxfords and most grips come with a relay to do just that - turn them off when the bike is off.
    Good luck! Lots of good vids on youtube if you're stuck.

3. DrGadget

DrGadget New Member

Thanks for the help, I'm going to look on youtube to get a better idea before I tackle this tomorrow

4. DrGadget

DrGadget New Member

I found a youtube video on how to disassemble the throttle, so I'm good. Its not the oxford and no glue is needed, just soapy water to put them back on. I'll post pictures of this install and where to purchase these grips tomorrow or during the week. The warmer controls are build in the grips which is what I was looking for and the throttle is a complete throttle assembly. I tested them on a motorcycle battery I have for my other bike and they are just toasty!

superfunkomatic likes this.
  5. DrGadget

DrGadget New Member

T

6. DrGadget

DrGadget New Member

7. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

Interesting translation on the box. :)

8. DrGadget

DrGadget New Member

Yeah, they're from e-bay, Chinese seller but hey, for 20 bucks, I got nothing to lose and they work great so far.