CRF250L Made into Adventure Tourer

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L General Discussion' started by echo5, Dec 25, 2014.

1. echo5

echo5 Member

Have to kitted out your 250L to go on trips and if so, can you post pictures and explain what you did to the bike to make it so. Im thinking a rear top case would do me but want to see what others have done.

Thanks! :thumbup:

2. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

My "kit" includes a backpack, and that's it. But I don't do any off-road or anything that takes me far from civilization. If that changes I'll definitely be looking into a spare gas can, tank bags, and rear case.

I think AZDesertDog has a video or two going over his kit but I can't find it.

3. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

Here is my CRF250L in Adventure Tourer mode....((small/medium tank bag, soft saddle bags on modified rack to hold bags away from exhaust etc, 1.75 gallon RotoPax for a range of around 200+ miles of travel between fiill ups, and an upgraded seat for comfort. Also, I have a 12Volt Cigarette Connection to charge cell or GoPro. OH and do not go down to 13T sprocket...I lost about 10MPH of top speed and regret it.))

20141226_144032.jpg 20141226_105148.jpg

Evergreen Life, JR45 and Alex like this.
  4. Jim Franks

Jim Franks New Member

Yeah, I hope this is similar to the original topic. How do you take a long trip with such a small gas tank. Without more capacity you'd have to stop every couple of hours to fill up. Interested to hear more how others extend the range.

5. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

If you're patient and not in a hurry, this bike has already proven to be a great little tourer. Stay on side roads, gravel, forestry roads and you'll have a blast.

I got some racks from a Canadian company - dirtracks and the Nelson Rigg Adventure dry bags (25l each). I loaded virtually all of my camping gear, tools and clothing with no problems. Honestly, I can't even feel the weight - the suspension is good for such a small bike.

Fuel range is not that big of an issue with a fuel canister (underneath the 50 litre dry bag on top) and most places have gas within 200-300 kilometres. I was surprised to find the bike can do 200+ kilometres on a single tank.

Just finished a three day 1500 kilometre journey. Very impressed.
    crf_first_trip_2016.jpg

Alex likes this.
  6. IdahoRdRider

IdahoRdRider New Member

I've done 3 day camping trips on my CRF250L and had a blast. I added a "Cycle Racks" rack and side mounts also from Cycle Racks. I mounted Pelican cases on the side racks and a GIVI top case mounted on the Cycle Rack via a universal GIVI Mount. I replaced the fuel tank with a Acerbis 3.1 gal tank and due to the fact that I have done no mods to the engine or exhaust, I am averaging over 75 miles per gallon so the 3 gal tank extends my range to over 200 miles. I added a windscreen, Bike Master heated grips, a Nelson Rigg tank bag, a RAM mount for my GPS, a Vista Throttle Lock, and a Seat Concepts seat. I love this bike!

superfunkomatic likes this.
  7. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

8. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Do you have any photos of the racks you could share, thanks

9. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

Here's the company I bought them from Dirtracks. Good quality. You can buy them unpainted and do it yourself.

10. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Thanks for the link

11. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

12. JPD

JPD Member

Just bought a 3 liters gas can to extent by trail range.
    A cheaper alternative to rotopak ($36USD) also available 5l & 10l.

gascan.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal..._20170301161736&SearchText=motorcycle+gas+can

Here's few pictures of the gas can mounted
    IMG_20170301_193836 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20170301_194056 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20170301_195205 (Medium).jpg
    At this point the bracket is a prototype only...

13. JPD

JPD Member

Went from prototype to production...

gascan1.jpg
    gascan2.jpg
    38% Increase in Fuel Capacity for less than $40USD

14. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Nice setup!

15. JPD

JPD Member

For Emergency / Bailout gas I mounted a Small Fuel Bottle ($20.00 CDN) on the side.

IMG_20171125_100009.jpg
    IMG_20171125_095643.jpg
    Helmet lock removed and small Aluminum plate bolted
    IMG_20171125_095803.jpg
    Bottle is fastened to the plate and back rack with wing nuts.

Tigger and Evergreen Life like this.
  16. Wynstonn

Wynstonn New Member

Thank you for the info. I ordered the rear and side racks from Dirtracks.

superfunkomatic likes this.
  17. JPD

JPD Member

Getting the bike ready for next season... or local groundhog predict an early spring[​IMG]

Here's my trail pack (nylon Backpack) mounted on the rear rack with 1L Fuel Bottle. That will likely be my setup for most of the 2018 riding season.
    packmounted.jpg

18. Evanparker

Evanparker New Member

I had originally mounted my GIVI case from my touring bike on it, but for the rides i do, maybe a whole 12-14 hour day on the bike, this has been working fine.

I find going around 20-35mph off road I actually get pretty great mileage compared to on the highway, so I've been able to get 180+ miles out of this setup.

I usually do 150-200 dirt bike miles, and maybe 200-250 on the highway to get to the riding spot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

:thumbup: