I lowered her!

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by Vman1313, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

So I did the unthinkable and I lowered "CrayCray"....my beloved CRF250L!!! :eek: Yes I have read all the reasons as to why I shouldn't and even the mechanic who did it for me advised me against it YET I am SOOOOO happy I did!! I bought the adjustable links from Soupy which can be adjusted from 1 to 4 inches lower and I had the mechanic set her at 2 inches lower. MAN what a WONDERFUL difference! I can now flat foot and feel so much more comfortable/safe on her. I was worried about messing up the clearance while off-roading and jumping BUT I spent a whole day on her jumping on MX tracks and riding various types of trails and had not one issue nor could tell a difference besides being able to easily flat foot every time I needed to put my foot down.

http://soupysperformance.com/honda/crf250l/soupy-s-crf250l-horseshoe-style-lowering-link.html

TahuyaRider likes this.
  2. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

PS.......according to all I read, lowering reduces handling abilities and changes the suspension reaction. That should be obvious, but to me the ability to feel safe and flat foot the bike on the streets outweigh the negative effects lowering the bike supposedly causes. I have not been able to tell a difference in handling or suspension but I wanted to make clear, I am not a hard @$$ rider. If you are wishing to super jump the bike or really ride her hard, lowering using the method I used may not be the way to go.

TahuyaRider likes this.
  3. Mike310

Mike310 Member

Dude I feel the need for this too. A bunch, I'm on my tippy toes in major los angeles intersections. I'm going to think about this and thank you for posting up your personal results.

Vman1313 likes this.
  4. JR45

JR45 Member

Has anyone on here any experience of lowering by drilling a hole higher up the lower shock mount ? I have had this modification recommended by a couple of people, and the big advantage seems to be that it's free...

5. echo5

echo5 Member

How about the kickstand? Doesn't that need shortening/aftermarket one?

6. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

Yes the kickstand must be adjusted if you lower the bike. I will admit I have been having kickstand issues...hahaha...I cut it and its the perfect height but I havent attached something to the end so its just a bar sticking down. No biggie on hard surfaces, not cool on dirt/sand. I have a quick access little plate I drop on the grund and set the bike on but I haven't needed it that much so maybe that's been why I have been so lazy to fix the end. HeHeHe

7. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

YES! I'm not the only one. I too cut my kickstand. Also like you, I have yet to weld the plate back on. I keep a plate in my pocket for that reason. :)

8. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

Hehehehe TTOversteer...glad I am not the only one. Think something like JB Weld would hold up? I am thinking not but its worth a try.

XxAnthxX likes this.
  9. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

I have no idea. I'm not very well-versed in that kind of stuff. I was thinking of trying to solder the crap out of it but I doubt that would hold up over time. I have to do some research to see if there are any "home remedies" out there that I can do with stuff from Home Depot, without buying welding gear.

10. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

I dont think soldering will work either...too soft. Since I have no clue how to weld, I drilled a hole in the kickstand...put a meta L bracket and bolted it on. It works decent but looks like $%^#@. Soupy has an adjustable stand but at 150 plus bucks...I dont think so!!!! Hehehehe!

11. michael.kozera

michael.kozera Member

i actually raised my crf250l by 3", i did my own custom work on both the front and back suspension and ive now got 12" travel front and rear. i actually had to lengthen the kick stand.

important to note that by raising my bike by 3" it likes to wheelie alot more now, and ive also noticed that turn in speed has increase, at the same time higher center of mass made it more difficult to balance.

12. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

I would need a step stool to get on if I raised mine...HAHAHAHA!!! :D

13. DAVEY

DAVEY New Member

I am considering lowering mine too. Just can't come to grips with cutting a perfectly good side stand. Does anyone know if there is an OEM stand (preferably Honda) that is compatible but shorter. Maybe a CRF230L or ???. I can't find specs on the Internet to check them out but sure the price would certainly be better than those offered online.

14. michael.kozera

michael.kozera Member

if you are lowerijng the bike you can simply bend the kick stand out more, thus keeping the OEM stand, and to bend it just put it in a vice grip and tug on it real hard!

i would bend it 3-4 inches out.

TahuyaRider likes this.
  15. Brian

Brian New Member

I have also been considering the soupy kit, Did you also lower the forks down some too?

16. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

I did lower the front forks as much as possible...only like an inch or so.

17. JR45

JR45 Member

I dropped the front end on mine by raising the fork legs as far as they would go - but it's only possible to gain about an inch as the bars get in the way...
    If I get a chance in the next couple of weeks I'm going to try the "cheap fix" option for lowering the back end - ie putting another hole higher up the bottom shock mount and bolting it back together. I'll let you know how I get on...

18. stray dog

stray dog New Member

Yes I did, dead easy mod.
    Drilled about 1/2" up lowered the rear about 2"
    No adverse effects

Dog

JR45 likes this.
  19. JR45

JR45 Member

Cheers Dog,
    Being as I'm not the tallest person around - and as this mod is free - I thought I might give it a go. In theory it should rake the front end out very slightly, but as dropping the front end - and hence steepening it - didn't seem to have any effect I'm happy to try it. The other advantage of this mod is that it is very easily reversible...
    Just need a free day to get in the workshop now...
    J.R.

Alex likes this.
  20. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

Cant wait to see and hear how it comes out.