First early oil change

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by shiredevon, Nov 2, 2014.

1. shiredevon

shiredevon Member

Ok so i got the bike, caned it back from Manila putting about 150kms on it,
    No way was i gonna leave it till 1k to change the oil, Managed to get filter but not gasket but figured it'd be ok,

Drained the oil, (is it me getting old or does oil seem like piss nowdays?) pretty dark considering the low kms,
    [​IMG]

Was quite surprised at the amount of metal deep in the flutes of the filter, also the bowl, not sure if the pics show it very well, also you could clearly see a large amount of tiny particulates glistening in the oil.
    [​IMG]

Glad i bothered, it'll be interesting to see if there's much more next time i change, i reckon around 500kms.

2. shiredevon

shiredevon Member

Gonne buy a T4 slip on tomorrow in Manila for 6300 peso($140) can't buy into this power bomb thing, think its a placebo, i'll post a few pics if i'm not too drunk!.

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

I don't recall seeing anything like that when I did mine, but a certain amount of fine stuff is to be expected - and the main reason that first one is very important.
    Good pics to show it.

4. shiredevon

shiredevon Member

Ok guys to follow up i've just hit 500kms and was gonna change the oil again, when i checked the oil is still clean!, i read somewhere that early on the clutch plates can shed material and contaminate the oil ?, don't know if this is the case but i think it proves an early oil change is a good idea, i'll keep an eye on it but i may wait till 1000kms now.

5. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

I only did one oil change so far, but it was the first one and at about 800 miles. The oil was filthy. So yes, an early first oil change is a great idea. Based on my current mileage, I think I will get away with one oil change per riding season.

6. shiredevon

shiredevon Member

Ok, just changed again, remember the above was 150kms, this is 700kms, oil much cleaner and no metal in the bowl or filter(it's just the sun glistening on the filter), draw you own conclusions but i'm glad i changed early.
    [​IMG]

TTOversteer likes this.
  7. echo5

echo5 Member

Ive seen this thread with other bikes. One guy does an early OC and gets metal in there. But others do pics and their engine is clean.

But early is good...

What gets me is the 8000 mile interval for an engine with 1.5 quarts of oil.

Crazy.

shiredevon likes this.
  8. cowboy

cowboy Member

It suggests the motor is very under-stressed in stock tune - good for longevity.
    I'll be changing mine annually which will be much less than 8000 miles I expect.

TTOversteer likes this.
  9. echo5

echo5 Member

They do the testing so I assume they know what they are doing.

I imagine my neighbor worked for them at one time. He says there a government and manufacturers conspiracy to get us to change our oil too early. In fact he says its unnecessary. He doesnt change his at all. His Ford with 88,000 miles has never had it done. Just topped up.

MAybe he is right!:D

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  10. michael.kozera

michael.kozera Member

although yes i do believe that oil changes should be longer then what mechanics say (5000-8000km), i also dont think 100,000km+ is good either.

i always do what the book says, the engineers that designed the engine know whats best.

my crf250l manual says do every 12,800km, so i just round it off at 10,000km flat for ease of remembering. (full synthetic)

my 2001 civic says change it every 16,000km regular oil (or every 24,000km full synthetic), so i round off to 20,000km for easy remembering.

as an engineer myself i get payed to make rules and guild lines and i can say with confidence, most rules and guild lines are undercut by almost half for safety/ liability, so in reality i could go 48,000km oil change on my car, but again, do what the book says and you will never have any issue, just a heavier wallet :)

TTOversteer likes this.