Need Advice with Chain and sprocket replacement.

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L General Discussion' started by Mike310, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Mike310

Mike310 Member

So I ride my 250L like a mad man. I am also not the lightest person weighing in at about 210 lbs. I have noticed my chain is looking a bit droopy. My bike is pretty much street only and I really like being able to cruise 80mph on the freeway. SO that being said. I want to replace the sprocket and chain. Anyone go up or down with teeth on either side? Have any feedback? I would like a little more zoom zoom but I really dont want to loose my top end.

Thanks in advance

2. michael.kozera

michael.kozera Member

to be honest, at 210lb you bought the wrong bike dude.

im 180lb and the suspension just barley works for me. power is ok. BB fixed that :)

stock gearing worked good for me. if you ride mostly street i would recommend street tires/80/20 DS tires, street tires would give you more of an advantage then gearing due to low engine power.

3. Max

Max New Member

Like Mike, I am 180lbs. I went to a 13T front. I drive about 80% highway (not freeway), no slow lane.
    With the 14T, I couldn't get up 10% grades without dropping 10kph. The 13T lets me go up hills on the highway without slowing down.
    With my bike, with the 13T I can get to 118kph (GPS measure) easily, but not pleasant for longer periods (vibration). (124kph down hill)
    I travel mostly around 105kph (65mph) and the bike doesn't cause my hands to fall asleep.
    With the drop to a 13T, I also installed a SpeedoDRD speedo adjuster. The stock speedometer is not too accurate. This is all on the stock IRC tires.

I think a more street oriented tire would be an improvement for sure.
    You should visit http://www.gearingcommander.com/ and you can see the options for sprockets (and tires). I am considering going 42 or 43 rear. Then I can switch the front to 13 or 14T depending on what I am going to do (off road or highway).

4. echo5

echo5 Member

Im 250 lbs and find the stock gearing works just fine, although I don't cruise at 80 on the freeway and ride back roads @ 55 mph average in a relatively leisurely fashion. If I want to accelerate like an idiot (rare) I just shift down. In general I don't care what gear Im in as long as the bike is responsive to my throttle hand. In live in South Jersey where its pretty flat so I can get away with this approach.

I also don't have a pipe ( adds no hp just noise) a controller (bike runs just fine thanks) or aftermarket seat (iron ass) but would like a 3 gallon tank, bar risers, rear rack, and a 12v socket for my vest.

5. Mike310

Mike310 Member

i bought the wrong bike? I love this bike, its the bike I wanted and I bought it. I wont be 210lbs forever. I already have street tires, EJK, and FULL YOSHI, air box is modded too.
    So wait, 13T on the front drive sprocket? Isnt that what came stock? I'm not really sure.
    Please let me know which sprocket we are talking about, I guess I need it dumbed down a bit. Thanks in advance

wrong bike!? LOL Look at that thing, this was taken last week!

[​IMG]

Max likes this.
  6. Mike310

Mike310 Member

7. michael.kozera

michael.kozera Member

yes wrong bike, the bikes stock suspension is sprung very light, and light dampening, perhaps for 160lb-170lb person. so u at 210lb are completely overwhelming the bikes suspension.

i have no doubt that it looks amazing, it does!

8. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

I too am a little over 200lbs and I love my CRF250L...I ride it off road...I ride it on the hwy...I rode her 2up at Moab...ALL STOCK...NO PROBLEMS!!! In comparison to other bikes, its not the best off road bike nor is it the best on road bike but to say I too bought the wrong bike is ludicrous...all you have to do is see the HUGE SMILE on my face to see its THE BIKE FOR ME!!!

Now to OP...@Mike310, I put a 13T up front and didnt like it at all. It did give it a little zoom zoom and off roading was sooooo much easier and 2nd gear was useful and it seemed to pull in every gear BUT my MPG and TOP SPEED dropped ridiculously. Way too much to justify it, I am back to my OEM sprocket and SMILING AGAIN!

9. Mike310

Mike310 Member

Thanks for the advice VMAN! I'm going to keep it stock for now.

10. stray dog

stray dog New Member

Well I'm over 260lbs. Admittedly I'm riding the CRF/M which has slightly harder suspension.
    But overall the bike copes with the weight no problems at all.

FYI, I also run a Grom125, which I tour on.
    3000miles last tour of French Pyrenees and Gorges.
    Oh and also a tour on a Ruckus (Zoomer) 2000miles
    This year I'm planning a trip on the CRF to the Black sea then down to Greece and home
    Expecting to do over 5000miles.

The only reason you may have bought the wrong bike is if you wanted to get anywhere in a hurry....:p

As for sprockets, I would go UP on the rear by 1 or 2 teeth.
    Although changing to Street tyres I suspect will have lowered your gearing anyway.
    1 off the front = 3 on the rear approx

Dog

11. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

@Mike310 - research before deciding to OR not to...I researched that changing both sprockets changes all kinds of things so just research and see what you are looking for BUT for me AS IS is the best for what I want and how I ride.

@stray dog - hahahaha -- I would love to have a Ruckus to just beat around in. Makes me laugh when people say "XXX BIKE" is no good or"XXX BIKE" is not this or that. A NO GOOD BIKE is a bike that doesnt run, IMO. I dont ride my CRF250L to race or beat speed records, I ride my bike to enjoy the outdoors...to enjoy nature...to enjoy the scenery...to enjoy THE RIDE! Yes, some people's enjoyment is to go as fast as you can with out seeing anything....and thats cool for them. BUT I say: ENJOY THE RIDE......WHATEVER YOUR RIDE MAY BE!!!

Hammer66 likes this.
  12. stray dog

stray dog New Member

Well said sir..

Hammer66 likes this.
  13. Mike310

Mike310 Member