Tech questions

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by Shaun, May 13, 2015.

1. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Do I need to get the valves check at 600miles or can I push it to 1000miles?
    How much will this cost?
    Also my bike is completely stock and I ride 65mph often on my commutes. about 30 miles at this speed each way. The motor seems like it's revving loud and I am wondering if this is hard on the motor? Am I near redline at this speed or do I have a lot more room? Thank you in advance for any insights.

2. Max

Max New Member

I run about 120km daily at that speed when I commute and checked my valves first at 3900km. They were still in spec. Checking at 1000miles should be fine.
    Here are some warning signs and valve related issues from the service manual.
    Compression too low, hard starting or poor performance at low speed
    • Valves:
    – Incorrect valve adjustment
    – Burned or bent valve
    – Incorrect valve timing
    – Weak valve spring
    – Uneven valve seating
    – Valve stuck open
    Excessive noise
    • Incorrect valve adjustment
    • Sticking valve or broken valve spring

3. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Thank you..so I guess 65 mph won't hurt the bike. Also great info on valves. Thank you very much. When are you going to check them again..manual recommends 16000 I believe

4. Max

Max New Member

I guess I have another 4 years at my rate of mileage accumulation. May take it apart again this winter to check if I think it is making more noise than normal. Doesn't take too much if you have a garage or shop. The biggest hassle for me was getting the proper feeler gauges.

5. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Thank you

6. Mike310

Mike310 Member

I ride mine at 75-80mph on the freeway for up to 20 miles at a time, no problem.

7. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Stock gearing?

8. Max

Max New Member

13T front - everything else stock.
    Found that otherwise heavy headwinds or steeper hills cause a drop off of too much speed on the highway. Our highways have passing lanes on hills and that is the only chance I get to pass large trucks so need to be able to keep the speed up (at least for a period longer than the large truck can).