Essential mods ?

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L General Discussion' started by Paul2129, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Paul2129

Paul2129 New Member

the 250L will be only my second trail bike in 25 years. I wondered what mods people think are pretty essential. So far I've shortlisted Acerbis hand guards (with the metal insert) and I'm going to need some form of luggage rack. (Not sure which) please suggest, is there anything which has its own bag, made to fit it ?
    How about for protection of the bike in a fall ? With a sports bike (if you make a habit of dropping it over) you'd fit crash bungs to the frame, what is the likely damage to the CRF and is it worth worrying about ? I saw a second hand machine which had seen some trail action, it didn't look so bad, just a few scuffs on panels. I guess that's all part of the fun, and expected of this type of bike, at least where they were used for what they were made to do ?

2. Paul2129

Paul2129 New Member

very quiet around here?

3. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

I bought this rack from ebay and am very happy with the build and fit, I added a Highlander roll top bag (Mallaig 35ltr) works well with rokstraps
    [​IMG][​IMG]

TahuyaRider likes this.
  4. martn130289

martn130289 Member

https://www.crf250l.org/forums/threads/some-mods.149048/
    here you can see what I did to my bike allready
    At the moment I didnĀ“t need the crasch bars so far...
    I have the original Honda rack... but it is not so nice I think. The one from Tigger looks much better and on crfsonly you can find some nice racks as well, but in Germany the original rack was the cheapest and easiest way to get one...

5. Paul2129

Paul2129 New Member

Thanks guys for the advice, the rack looks good, good to get a recommendation

Paul

6. JPD

JPD Member

Here's my Mods:
    Zeta Hand Guards
    IMG_20150513_204029.jpg
    Zeta Bash Plate
    IMG_20150511_094318.jpg
    Emperor Racing Rad Guard
    IMG_20150831_062918.jpg
    Honda Folding Shifter
    IMG_20150901_210129.jpg
    Rear Rack
    IMG_20150511_094359.jpg

7. Paul2129

Paul2129 New Member

The bash plate and rad guard look really good ! What make is your rack ?

8. JPD

JPD Member

9. JPD

JPD Member

Another small mod.

After breaking the ignition key (not once, but twice :confused:)... kicking the key while in the toolbox lock.
    I made a small key for the tool box. I usually leave the small key in the lock. It will open the tool box or helmet lock but won't start the bike.

IMG_20170208_050919.jpg
    IMG_20170208_050857.jpg

Peter and TahuyaRider like this.
  10. Paul2129

Paul2129 New Member

Unfortunately I don't think I can order from CRFonly, I think they don't post to UK ?

11. TahuyaRider

TahuyaRider New Member

This is the rack I have already ordered, and received, for my upcoming Rally bike. These racks from ManRacks are built very strong, and I like the "side handles" on this rack, which are great for loading a wider bag on, or....a great place to grab onto when picking the bike up...oops...:eek:or lifting the bike out of a crevice, etc.

http://www.manracks.com/honda-crf250l

It is the 3rd picture on that website....that is called the BBQ Rack, for $ 150.00

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  12. Paul2129

Paul2129 New Member

I've found a few options for racks, some of the options you show are pretty tough to get from UK. Next on my list is a bash plate

13. TahuyaRider

TahuyaRider New Member

Paul, while there are some vendors that will not ship to the UK.....you could always make a connection on here, for someone to buy the item you want, and ship it to the UK for you. As I said on another thread, I have a townhouse on IOM (Isle of Man), just outside Ramsey, and go there 3 or 4 times a year.

Rather than "settle" for a rack that is not your # 1 choice, but....you can have it sent to the UK by the vendor....give thought to having one of us buying it for you, and shipping it to you.

14. kayakersteve

kayakersteve New Member

BigBus33 and TahuyaRider like this.
  15. Shamone

Shamone New Member

I've just bought a brand new 2017 bike so am still running it in, but really noticed the odd gearing when going from first to second. I've read that the 13T front sprocket causes the chain to prematurely eat the chain guard (Woodman video) so want to get a 42T rear instead. I just can't find a UK supplier for a steel one - Anyone bought one this side of the pond?

16. Shamone

Shamone New Member

Thanks for the info :)

What I meant was that I don't like the stock 14/40 gearing, have read that the 13T front sprocket causes the chain to prematurely eat the chain guard, so want to get a 42T rear instead of fitting a 13T front.

17. TahuyaRider

TahuyaRider New Member

Aha....said the blind man. Now I get it. You Irishmen have a funny way of phrasing things ;)

If you cannot find a 42 tooth rear sprocket to your liking that can be bought, or shipped to the UK, then let me know, as I have a source in Hillsboro, Oregon that makes a lot of these sprockets, and I can get one made the way you want it, and I will ship it to you myself.

Shamone likes this.
  18. BigBus33

BigBus33 New Member

19. Tigerjohn

Tigerjohn New Member

Simon - did you eventually go down the route of 14 - 42......if so, what did you think and where did you find the 42T rear? I'm minded to do the same.

20. WillyLee

WillyLee New Member

First provide an outline of what you plan to use the bike for and that will make it easier to suggest modifications. Scratches etc are the best and cheapest modification for a trail bike. It is easy to spend a small fortune on upgrades and bling but in many cases that is for the rider and not the bike. As a commuter bike...leave well alone...it will do the job. If you intend to ride serious off road trails the list is endless and you simply throw a credit card at your local parts supplier...or eBay.