wheelies

Discussion in 'Riding Skills' started by shiredevon, Jun 4, 2014.

1. shiredevon

shiredevon Member

As no one has posted anything here yet i thought i would just for the hell of it, i've always been chasing the perfect wheelie however the last time i tried it on my xr it was over a bridge,

Unfortunately the tricycle i was following stopped, and before i knew it i was just about to ride over it, hit the brakes instinctively front wheel hit the deck locked up shot sideways and i landed on my head, fortunately i was wearing a helmet albeit a piss pot type,

Really f*cked myself up, so maybe 60 is too old to be doing stuff like this, and man was i glad i had a helmet coz it's so hot here often i don't wear one,

Is there a moral to this story?, who knows but thought i'd share it hehe, ride safe guys!....

2. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

Too old to wheelie? I doubt it! Very glad to hear you are okay.

Does anyone wheelie the CRFL? I don't know how to wheelie ... rather, I know how, but I have never tried it.

3. shiredevon

shiredevon Member

I'll let you know coz mine arrives soon, it's really not easy on an xr200, second gear, bounce the crap out the front, end blip the throttle and throw your weight back and hope for the best hehe.

4. JR45

JR45 Member

WHENEVER you try to get the front end off the ground ALWAYS make sure your foot is over the rear brake... That way if it all goes wrong you can touch the pedal and get the front end down again.
    There are two basic ways to get the front end up. Firtsly - sit down, not to far forwards, get it rolling in second gear, then dip the clutch slightly and as the revs rise drop the clutch and give it a handful of throttle whilst leaning slightly backwards to pull on the bars. Once you can do this and can find, and maintain, the "balance point" by gentle use of the throttle and rear brake try the same thing whilst standing up. This type of wheelie is basically for fun / showing off...
    The other way is what you do for clearing small obstructions when off road. Whilst standing up, at fairly low speed, when the front wheel is 18-24 inches from the obstruction lean all your weight onto the bars then off again quite sharply - this compresses then releases the front suspension. As it rebounds stand up straight and give the throttle a quick twist... The front should rise, just enough to clear logs or rocks in the track. As soon as the front wheel is over the obstruction shut the throttle and the rear wheel will just roll over it... For larger obstructions use a similar technique, but dip the clutch as above.
    Start off small, and work up. But remember - always cover that back brake...

5. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

Funny! I was teaching my girlfriend how to wheelie her MTB last night and the first thing I taught her was to cover that rear brake! :)

Good summary on how to wheelie the CRFL. I need to find an empty parking lot or someplace to practice so that when I goof up I don't get run over.

6. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Apparently it's not impossible...

[​IMG]

JR45 likes this.
  7. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

Oh YEAH! :)

8. JBsurf

JBsurf New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017