Coolant Weeping Out Below Water Pump CRF250L

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by crfGary, May 12, 2017.

1. crfGary

crfGary New Member

What is the reason for a small amount of coolant weeping out of the nipple below the water pump on the right side of motor?

2. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

There doesn't seem to be a reason it just does, it should only be a small amount, some people have reported oil, It mentions it in the handbook as natural, Honda have now fitted a Nipple from 2015 onwards I think.
    some owners have added a hose and drilled through the skid plate, ( I don't like this idea as its more likely to fill with dirt )
    Have a search on Thumper Talk under CRF250 L/M and there is a long thread on there.....hope this is useful

3. crfGary

crfGary New Member

Thanks....nothing to worry about then. Gave it the taste test and it's coolant.

4. Mr. bill

Mr. bill New Member

I noticed that on my 250l also a little antifreeze glad I some read some feedback

5. trobinso

trobinso New Member

It's normal to see some weep 1st 1000 mi or so - not to worry, it'll stop - the ceramic seal takes a while to seat. Since the mid '90's water pump re-builders & OEM have recommended running the water pump dry for a few minutes to facilitate seating and sealing of the ceramic seal. This isn't done @ the factory. The coolant system is filled with slippery antifreeze which weeps during break-in.

6. Lee6R

Lee6R Member

I too noticed a small coolant leak from drain hole just below water pump, looked in owners handbook, nothing to worry about.

I decided to keep an eye on it though, glad i did! Occasional Drip then turned into constant stream and emptied reservoir in ten miles.
    Bike currently in Honda Workshop getting new Water Seal, Oil Seal and the cause of the problem - A New Water Pump Shaft. I was initially told Honda Europe would not release the parts i needed for my 2013 Bike, suggesting a known problem.
    The dealer was later told to order a 2017 Water Pump Shaft as these are now the recommended parts for all years. Suggesting an update?

Cost of all parts - around £120 plus lots of labour time :mad:

So people, keep an eye on those Coolant Drips, a few is fine, but keep checking........

7. crfGary

crfGary New Member

Lee6r repost if that 2017 shaft and seals fixed your leak. I am still getting some coolant weeping with 1700 miles on my 2016 model and now seeing some engine oil leaking around this area. I looked up the oem part numbers for the shaft and seals on the 2016 & 2017 models and they definitely made a change between years because the part numbers are different for each year.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  8. Lee6R

Lee6R Member

I'll update when i get my bike back, in workshop for a month nearly now!
    With changes to Part Numbers and sending bits from Belgium (!!!), taking waaaaaayyyy too long.
    At least it's not summer and i don't feel like i'm missing out on some good riding.....

9. Lee6R

Lee6R Member

Got my bike back, finally, yesterday.
    New 2017 Water Pump Shaft fitted, along with new Water Pump Seal and Oil Seal.
    After 1hr test ride, no leak. Not even a small drip. Completely Dry. So far........

I'll keep an eye open and monitor for any developments, but not expecting any!

I have also written to Honda UK for re-imbursment of parts and labour costs as the 2013 parts were not available meaning they must be aware of fault.
    Not expecting anything but if you don't ask.....

10. Lee6R

Lee6R Member

Done some miles on my bike now, not a drop used.
    Guess the 2017 parts work!

I asked Honda UK for some sort of Goodwill Warranty Gesture as it is obvious they are aware there is a problem with the original parts and you can only now get the 2017 parts.
    Their response was NO, because i'd already paid and settled the account with my dealer.
    SO, if anyone takes their own bike in, ASK THE DEALER to contact Honda who MAY contribute.........

11. crfGary

crfGary New Member

Honda should of fixed this problem years ago instead of waiting until 2017 to do something.

12. YYZ_CRF250L

YYZ_CRF250L New Member

Anyone have a picture of where the leak occurs?

Thanks

13. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

From the 2016 workshop manual, (I believe it's flat and not "L" shaped on later models, also may have a hose type spigot) hope this helps,
    Mine did weep in the first couple of hundred miles but has bedded in and stopped now,

coolant seep hole.JPG

14. Schnatterinchen

Schnatterinchen Member

Thanks @all for the information; I just observed some drops of coolant and finally figured out that there's that tiny little hole which leaks. The bike has done only 164 km (or 100 mls) but is a 2014 model, so there's no warranty left.
    Glad to hear that this might be quite normal for the running in process.