Old or new.

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L General Discussion' started by Filippo, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Filippo

Filippo New Member

Hi folks opinions please. Im looking to purchase a crf250 in the UK. debating whether to go forthe updated 2017 model or go second hand that's prob low miles and some mods..?? Cheers

2. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

If you are going to mess it up on green lanes etc in the first few weeks, buy a good second hand one would be my advice, unless the Rally version takes your fancy.. good luck with your decision

3. Filippo

Filippo New Member

cheers Tigger. all round use really, lanes, commuting general blatting about. was just wondering whether the new model is worth the extra with "improvements"??

4. marcusfordus

marcusfordus New Member

I've had the pleasure of a Rally as a loan bike today whilst mine was in for the first service.
    I really liked the engine, through the gears right up to an indicated 74mph with ease.
    I disliked the pogo suspension.
    I liked the stronger front brake, but was cancelled out by the no-feel rear brake.
    Fold up tip on the gear lever a plus.
    Super firm seat a negative.
    Better indicators and headlight.
    £1400 more than what I payed end of March '17 for my own new 16spec bike.

The ideal bike would be 2017 non-Rally CRF, dressed in 2016 coloured plastics.

The Rally was good, but not massively different. The increase in engine poke is best described as my bike is a 250, that may have been a 300!

5. Lee6R

Lee6R Member

I too thought about a new 2017 bike but went for a 2013 model with full FMF MegaBomb Exhaust and a few other extras.
    I mainly wanted the bike for gentle green laning, teaching CBT on and bimbling around at a slower pace than my sports bike. It ticks all the boxes.
    Don't regret buying an older second hand bike for a second (even though it's currently getting the water pump fixed!).

6. Filippo

Filippo New Member

Thanks for all your replies guys. This 2015 bike came up with full FMF Q4 system k&n filter and Dobrek box so decision made!

Attached Files: