Check engine light after exhaust and ejk tuner

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by Potter83, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Potter83

Potter83 New Member

Hi guys have a 2017 model and just fitted a find q4 and mega bomb with the ejk tuner. Now the check engine light is on. Not blinking just on. Tried unplugging the ejk but it remains on. I seem to recall when I did my wr250r there was a similar problem that was rectified with aiming plugged into maybe the o2 sender that isn't in the after market exhaust. Is there some sort of reset that needs to be done? Anyone else had this problem? Sorry bike seems to run fine I should mention. Cheers

2. crfGary

crfGary New Member

Are these aftermarket parts designed for the 2017 model? I didn't know aftermarket exhaust and tuners were out for the 2017 model.

3. Potter83

Potter83 New Member

I'm wondering if this is the problem, they certainly fit and run. Anyone else got a 2017 model with these mods?

4. crfGary

crfGary New Member

I went to the FMF site and they did not show any exhaust systems available for the 2017 model. I would disconnect the pos. lead at the battery for a few minutes and see if the check engine light will go off since you removed the EJK tuner. If that doesn't work I would reinstall the factory exhaust and see if this will turn off the light.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  5. WillyLee

WillyLee New Member

Try disconnecting battery for 10 minutes.

6. Patrick Spencer

Patrick Spencer New Member

What I heard from FMF is that there are significant changes to the exhaust on the 2017 model, ( I have one myself) and they are designing a new slip on and header for the '17. I was also told they would be available at the end of September.

7. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Did this get resolved?

X24200 likes this.
  8. X24200

X24200 New Member

In 2017 model if you do 1 of these you will get check engine light:
    - disconnect o2 sensor (in 2017 the sensor is fitted on the header. So if you use old fmf header for 12-16 model it would be your problem)
    - remove EVAP Canister
    - remove PAIR valve.
    I have done all 3 of them. Bike still run fine. Check engine always on. Just need to cover it with black tape.

Mike310 likes this.
  9. crfGary

crfGary New Member

You are going to void your Warranty.

X24200 likes this.
  10. X24200

X24200 New Member

Yes; now I warranty her by myself. And she run like a beast now :D

IMG_20171206_134134.jpg.e5a4c70c0bdb4989487f4db58973cf06.jpg IMG_20171206_134030.jpg.4c17db520bdc0ea779e42d5bade5f0e3 (2).jpg

11. Glenlivet

Glenlivet New Member

X2400 - Without a heat shield on that header doesn't it get a bit toasty on the leg?

Pete

12. Thai Guy

Thai Guy New Member

First off...I would never disconnect the O2 sensor on a fuel injected engine. It is telling the ECU/PCM what the real time "burn" is. If you have purchased an after market exhaust that has no sensor bung installed...you have bought shite!

Secondly and more important...the PAIR valve does not affect power at all. Yes, it can be removed and blocked. In a racing engine, getting rid of weight is important. The pair valve gives ECU feedback. Blocking it solely is OK...just plug the vacuum tube! In fact, if you ever put your bike on a Dyno, you have to! It puts air into your exhaust, which would throw off your fuel mixture calculation. The sensor works from vacuum, opening or closing a solenoid. At low to mid range rpm's, it is open. At high rpm/low vacuum, it shuts off. We have found the easy method for unwanted engine codes: YES, plug or get rid of the PAIR valve, and plug the air-box port. Fabricate some cheap vacuum tubing and tap into any intake side port using a simple plastic tee. Done for less than one dollar/euro/GBP, whatever. No engine codes.

In countries where emissions testing is required, this method is not easily detectable, unless someone removes the fuel tank and seat. It will read the same vacuum, from a different location. The issue is that you are altering the PAIR valve system for what? Even with an aftermarket exhaust it does not affect power, at all. My CRF has it in place still. I clean it along with air filter/oil filter...no harm. I have no CAT system, (Acropovic/Megabomb) but the extra air pulled in only impacts tuning, when on the dyno. (The dyno program has a PAIR defeat setting, so we plug the vacuum then and only then, just as the dealers do, to get an accurate O2/AFR reading) Yes, the ECU is reading a false O2 while driving, but we adjust for that for low end and mid range. with our mapping. Not critical to be a tad rich there anyway.

13. dbman

dbman New Member

what tyres and sizes are they in the picture please there nice?