Acerbis fuel tank problems

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by WillyLee, Sep 9, 2017.

1. WillyLee

WillyLee New Member

Great to be here with other 250L owners. Ridden Hondas for decades, XR's mainly recently acquired this bike and so far it's great. As you know, the tank range is pathetic and having recently bought an Acerbis, correct code/model for the bike, it just didn't fit, the fixings were 25mm out of sync for the plastics. It fitted to the bike after modifying the front spacer tubes but the plastics were way out of line. The hassle of sending it back to Italy is a pain, I'm in the UK. Anyone else had the same problem with either the Acerbis or IMS and are there any other alternatives. I've done all of the usual modifications, just waiting for a Hyperpro rear shock, radiator guard and it's out into the hills. All contributions gratefully received. Remember to keep the big round rubber things at the bottom.

2. YYZ_CRF250L

YYZ_CRF250L New Member

Doesn't the Acerbis require you to cut the plastics to fit? Pretty sure it's in the instructions so shouldn't have been a surprise

3. WillyLee

WillyLee New Member

I guess you're mistaken, I was aware the plastics needed to be adjusted slightly to adapt to the increase size but the holes were 25mm out of line. Why did you think it was necessary to cut the plastics? Have you bought one for the 250L and therefore speaking from experience? I have used Acerbic tanks on many Honda's and never had the need to reshape plastics. Be pleased to hear from anyone with problems fitting Acerbis to the 250L.

4. crfGary

crfGary New Member

Watch this youtube video I found.....https://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=...CBD90E86DFE99B633EBBCBD&v_t=webmail-searchbox

5. WillyLee

WillyLee New Member

I watched the video immediately after finding the problem and before posting. Unable to find any reference to cutting the plastics anywhere and as the hole was around 25mm out of sync I don’t see how that would provide a solution. If you are speaking from experience, what issues if any did you have? Thanks for your input.

6. crfGary

crfGary New Member

I don't have any experience with the Acerbis fuel tank. I was thinking about getting one for my crf250l, but decided against it.

7. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

How did this work out, was it the right tank?

8. martn130289

martn130289 Member

I had some problems as well. The plastics had to be bend and on each side one screw I could not use...(I think it was the one in the middle). But during riding there are no problems.