Fuel Tank Options

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L General Discussion' started by J_b, Jul 14, 2017.

1. J_b

J_b New Member

I am building a bike for long distance adventure bike and would love a 20L fuel tank . I can only seem to find a 11.5L tank , is there anything larger out there that will work?

Thanks

2. YYZ_CRF250L

YYZ_CRF250L New Member

3. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

That would give you about 500kms or more of fuel range. Are you planning on being that far away from humanity and gas stations? ;)
    That's a lot of extra weight - 32 pounds of fuel.

4. Evergreen Life

Evergreen Life Member

Anyone tried/ installed that crf only 3.1 gallon tank? It is intriguing...

I'd love to see some better pics of it installed.

5. Singlespeed92

Singlespeed92 New Member

It's on my short list of to-do's for my '16,that tank

6. Thai Guy

Thai Guy New Member

I looked at fuel loads when I had a Yamaha WR250. Don't like carrying weight above frame. My "little" 250 kicked ass on every adventure bike, with fuel capacity as the only down factor. I carried 4 extra Primus bottles using Wolf mounts. (Happy Trails actually) each can has full capacity of 1.5 liters. Functionally, that means you can fill to 1.375 liters (to leave head space). (.36 gallons each). That was 5.4 liters of extra fuel. (1.4 gallon) Enough to get me over the passes from Montana to Idaho, then refuel. Here in Thailand, there is little need to carry that much extra....plus, the CRF gets 65+ mpg.

Mount them where you feel comfortable. I had one on each fork leg, mounted low and outside to clear steering...and one mounted on each sub-frame down tube, behind the tube, again low, but not enough for the swing arm to hit.

I only carry two on my CRF. Now working on a swing arm mount using carbon fiber to hold a can on either side of the rear shock. Like a floating shock protector and bottle mount in one. The exhaust side is a problem with my current pipe. I may change the angle to clear everything.

Attached Files:

Birk likes this.