Blackout during Ride

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by Serunkuma, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Serunkuma

Serunkuma New Member

Hi,
    My motorcycle develops the following problem once in a while (less than once a month at average, but sometimes twice within ten mins):
    Even at full speed the engine goes off and the display gets dark. When I'm fast enough I can restart it by simply turning the key to 'off' and 'on' again and pressing the starter button without stopping, otherwise I have to stop and do the same procedure.
    Any idea what could cause this problem?

2. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

Sounds electrical. Have you checked the fuses? Dead battery? Loose terminal on battery? That's where I'd start.

3. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Are you doing anything in particular when it plays up, ie. bumpy ground, been through water?

4. mickeypeng

mickeypeng New Member

RECALL INFO
    VIN:

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: 15V-439
    CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION: STARTER MAGNETIC SWITCH RECALL
    MFR CAMPAIGN ID: JS9
    RECALL DATE: 07/01/2015
    RECALL STATUS: VIN/HIN Required
    SUMMARY:
    AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC. (HONDA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2013-2016 MOTORCYCLES.
    DURING ASSEMBLY OF THE STARTER RELAY SWITCH, SEALANT MAY HAVE BEEN APPLIED
    INCORRECTLY WHICH COULD INCREASE RESISTANCE ACROSS THE MAIN FUSE, POTENTIALLY
    INTERRUPTING THE MOTORCYCLE'S BATTERY VOLTAGE TO THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

SAFETY RISK:
    AN INTERRUPTION OF ELECTRICAL SYSTEM BATTERY VOLTAGE COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO A) NOT
    START OR B) STALL WHILE RIDING. IN AN EXTREME CASE, THE INCREASED RESISTANCE AT THE MAIN
    FUSE COULD CAUSE THE STARTER RELAY SWITCH TO CATCH ON FIRE.

REMEDY:
    HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE LOT NUMBER OF THE STARTER RELAY
    SWITCH AND REPLACE IF NECESSARY. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA MOTORCYCLE CUSTOMER
    SERVICE AT 1-866-784-1870. HONDA'S RECALL NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JS9.

Attached Files:

5. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Good info. I'd also check the battery terminals first, just in case.

6. Serunkuma

Serunkuma New Member

It's none of those.
    I suspect it's the ignition switch since when the system goes off and I move the key a bit up and down it works again.
    Anybody there with a similar problem?

superfunkomatic likes this.
  7. Serunkuma

Serunkuma New Member

Not really. I assume it's the ignition switch.

8. Serunkuma

Serunkuma New Member

It's definitely the ignition switch (not the magnetic, that ne with the key). There seems to be a small gap in the "ON" position between the most left and the most right position where the electrical current flow is disrupted. Unfortunately at times the key finds this position itself due to vibrations. Then the engine goes off and the lights as well - no fun especially at night.
    Any idea how that can be fixed without replacing the lock?