Dash Cams

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JR45, Mar 1, 2015.

1. JR45

JR45 Member

Not exactly motorcycle related, but maybe someone can help...
    Having recently had my Honda ( car ) written off by an idiot driving into the back of it, I'm considering getting a dash-cam - hopefully one that can record in front and behind. Has anyone on here got any experience of using one? Is expensive necessarily better? Any recomendations?

Any advice gratefully accepted...

Cheers !

2. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Very interested in this as well...

3. JR45

JR45 Member

I mean... I'm not planning on having another accident - but then I wasn't planning on having the last one. I just think that a cam would have shown, beyond any doubt, that it was entirely the other driver's fault. Maybe, hopefully, when the insurance company get round to giving me some money for the wrecked car, I'll be able to afford a camera...

4. Grumplecharge

Grumplecharge New Member

I don't have a rec., but I think it's a good idea just so that you can avoid any silliness when it comes to the legal/insurance end of things. Off the top, my assumption is that you'll be looking at getting two separate cameras--one for front and one for back--but I'd be interested in knowing if there's any sort of all-in-one type of thing out there too.

5. JR45

JR45 Member

Well, having looked into it - yes, there are systems that you can buy that record front and rear, but they're not cheap.
    However - just for a test, and because it was cheap, I bought one of these :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005Q6CJI4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
    I figured for £10 what have I got to lose? I have to say - quite impressed. Not exactly high quality HD recording, but definitely good enough for showing who's fault it is if you have an accident. The trick is to use a good quality, Class 10, SD card ( ironically the memory card cost more than the camera ! ). I was so impressed with it that I bought another one to go in the back of the car - my Honda Accord Tourer has a power socket in the boot, so no problem there - and a third one for my wife's car. It switches on automatically when you start the car, switches off when you stop, and runs a continuous loop recording of about two hours. With front and rear coverage for less than £20 I can't see the point in spending any more than that.
    Happy :)

Alex likes this.
  6. Grumplecharge

Grumplecharge New Member

That's good to hear that a cheaper option worked out just fine. I may have to pick one up myself.

7. JR45

JR45 Member

Like I said... Use a good quality Class 10 SD card, and don't expect perfect picture quality. It's worth experimenting with positioning etc... But I reckon they work fine, especially considering what they cost...

8. Vitor Vilhena

Vitor Vilhena New Member

I have no idea about the personnal data protection laws in UK, but here in Portugal, you need a license to have a camera recording a public area, (and you have to justify very well why you need it, or it won't be approved). And I'm not sure if the images obtained by those means are considered as a legal away of proof in court.
    Maybe you should check the legislation about it before you buy the cameras...

9. JR45

JR45 Member

There are laws about what you can do, and what you have to do, with any data collected - but dash-cams are perfectly legal to own and use in the UK.
    And recordings can be used for both insurance claims and in court cases.

10. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

I run my GoPro on my motorcycle at all times for such a reason. Obviously I dont get recording of whats behind me though.

11. JR45

JR45 Member

Following an "incident" recently where a driving instructor came onto a narrow bridge, having passed two "give way to oncoming vehicles" signs, directly into the path of an oncoming motorcylist ( me... ) I am now also looking for a camera to go on my bike. To be honest, if that's the way learners are taught to drive there's no wonder they have no respect for other road users !

12. Evergreen Life

Evergreen Life Member

I'm 100% all for running cameras on my vehicles. Video is indisputable and is a fun way to document rides.

Imo your crazy if you ride a bike on public roads and are not running a camera.

Singlespeed92 likes this.
  13. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

I have one called viofo, bought it off fleabay after much research. Far superior to my previous one and the viofo Full HD also logs Time / Date, GPS location and speed, But you would need two, one front and one rear[​IMG]

Alex likes this.