Help: Rear brake caliper slides not sliding.

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by AK of NY, Sep 14, 2019.

1. AK of NY

AK of NY New Member

My rear brake was ineffective and I found that the piston side pad was almost metal on metal.

Went to replace pads and the left side pad would not fit (almost fit). I tried to remove the caliper from the bracket (youtube no help). The rear slide turns and comes out but how do you get the front slide out? My front slide looks like a stud cast in the bracket.

I put it back together with the original pad on the nonpiston side and the new pad on piston side but the back brake is not that great.

How do you get the slides to slide?
    Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

Do you have a photo?
    I did my brakes on the 250L last year and I don't remember an issue getting things to go together. The pads went right into place in the slots provided. Have you compressed the cylinder when putting the pad in to give you enough room to put everything back together?
    Is the piston not sliding in? There are brake internal rebuild kits (gaskets and such) that you could take the caliper apart? Maybe a bit of grease on the caliper (you'd have to let the fluid out and take out the cylinder)?

3. AK of NY

AK of NY New Member

Yes there should be no problem but caliper won't slide to the right as much as it should. I had no problem compressing the cylinder and was able to put the right pad on no problem. The stud I am asking about is on the left in the picture. Do you have to remove it to take the slide out of the caliper ? IMG_20190914_150456326.jpg

4. AK of NY

AK of NY New Member

Any thoughts? Or a pick of the rear brake caliper?

5. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

I'll take a look and a photo.

6. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

That looks the same as mine. Are you sure the mount/slide is on the frame properly - the rear caliper kind of slides in from the rear/back of the bike on to the mount.
    Otherwise you should only have to take off one rubber seal and remove the pin at the back of the brake caliper to let the pads come out and back and then off. Slide the new ones in
    to the groove from the back and lift them up to put the pin back in.

Here are a few pics (manual and my bike):

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 7.42.24 PM.png IMG_0275.jpg

7. JPD

JPD Member

DSCN0326.JPG Untitled.jpg brakegrease.jpg

Uneven wear of brake pads are likely from the caliper body not sliding on the pins of the caliper bracket. If you compress the caliper piston the caliper body should slide on the pins. I took mine apart and found water and mud in the caliper body well (red Arrow). Cleaned the pins, boots/well, replaced the bracket pin rubber boot (yellow box), repacked with brake lubricant. No problem since then.

superfunkomatic likes this.