Rear shock upgrade?

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Farkles' started by JBsurf, Mar 25, 2017.

1. JBsurf

JBsurf New Member

Anyone try replacing the stock spring with one of these progressives?

[​IMG]upload image

2. JBsurf

JBsurf New Member

Been kicking around how to handle the handling, many choices... Some are $$$, which I was trying not to follow, if possible. Less expensive, I`d hoped, would be an option. And it is, I found a shop near me that does do suspension work and approached him with my found ideas and his, I chose the HyperPro progressive spring swap on the rear, and added the RaceTech fork spring up frone, no gold valves. Got it back yesterday and rode today, HUGE difference, especially up front. Also did the clutch upgrade and replaced the judder spring, now I have a much snappier better riding bike, for what some pay for a new rear shock! Rear is stiffer and sits abit talker, not much... Very plaesed :))

3. BigBus33

BigBus33 New Member

What was the approximate cost of the upgrade? I'm heavy for this bike but it's been perfect in every other way once I upgraded a few items.

4. JBsurf

JBsurf New Member

Rear shock spring $139.00, front fork spring kit $115.00 fork oil $10

5. Mike310

Mike310 Member

I feel like I'm going to have to pony up for the race tech rear shock, what a pain.

6. Sak CRF-L

Sak CRF-L New Member

I run racetech springs up front & Ohlins Shock ... awesome setup!!

7. Charleyscrfl

Charleyscrfl New Member

Ohlins rear, front set to my weight. Rides very nice.
    The suspension guy stated the stock rear holds very little oil and over heats easily.
    I believe what he said, i pulled the stock shock out it is poo.

8. vtwin_pilot

vtwin_pilot New Member

Just my two cents' worth...

I've not touched my suspension yet, but I emailed RaceTech and asked them if I could just start with the spring in the front for $100. He said absolutely, as it was by far the more important change. FWIW.

9. Merritt64

Merritt64 New Member

Usually changing just the spring is like putting lipstick on a pig. A bandaid solution at best. The few times it does work is when you have a quality shock to begin with (ie. KTM, Husqvarna etc.). Money is usually well spent upgrading the shock and it can be the single biggest improvement to most bikes' handling.