Yup, Oregon

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Paul in Oregon, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Paul in Oregon

Paul in Oregon New Member

Old guy here. Moving up on 45 years in the saddle. I just sold off my Africa Twin. Had a work misadventure and couldn't make the AT work after that. Wasn't going to give up Oregon forest service roads, so I got a Rally. It came re-sprocketed for grunt and I added a Speedo Healer (Cops are militant here) and an IMX tank. (I look forward to reading what I imagine will be multiple threads about how awful the installation instructions are.) Thanks for having me. rally_IMG_5278.jpg

superfunkomatic likes this.
  2. John Ryan

John Ryan New Member

I have a 2020 CRF 250L. It's not the Rally model just the standard dual sport. But anyway my point is that I took it up to the Oregon coast to ride at the dunes. Everything thing that I read pretty much said "do not take it to the dunes or in the sand period". They all said it wouldn't be fun and that I would regret it because the bike was just too heavy and it wouldn't perform well at all. I said screw it because my buddy was taking his dual sport and his dad had a buggy. So I definitely wasn't going without my bike. When I got there initially I put on a new k&n high flow air filter and an air box mod. Which was just a new cover with three 1inch vent plugs inserted into it for more air flow. And I removed my spark arrestor for more air. So with just those couple mods and the original knobby tires I went for it. I got about 100 yards down the trail in the sand and right away I felt like it was a horrible idea because I was constantly getting buried in the sand. So I went back to base camp and I put a paddle tire on (which I should have done initially). I took it back out with the paddle tire and the couple airbox mods I did. Man was that a whole new experience!! It was absolutely awesome bro. I got out there and opened it up and I was flying across the sand without a problem in the world. It climbed up some of the largest hills with ease. Man I was so impressed with the performance. I'm totally addicted to the sand dunes now. My buddy rode it and said that he felt like he was on a 450. So I guess my point is that there are some bad opinions about the CRF250L and the sand. But with those small mods it does Really well. I'm taking it back out again lol.

3. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Welcome!