Higher Octane

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L General Discussion' started by DrGadget, Jul 31, 2016.

1. DrGadget

DrGadget New Member

Has anyone tried using a high octane fuel? I'm talking about using high octane pump gas(Premium) I'm just curious if that increase performance at all. I have a modified bike with modified intake, exhaust, front and rear sprockets and a FMF programmer Just want to know if anyone tried it before giving it a try.

I live in Canada, so we don't have pollution system on our bikes.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. DrGadget

DrGadget New Member

I did some research and found that I've been using the wrong fuel. In the manual it says I should use 91 octane and I've been using 89 octane, and the manual says if I use a lower octane, it would reduce performance, Is that right?

3. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

Unlikely. It is a high compression motor. My anecdotal experience with fuel in other Honda bikes is that it made little difference. In fact, on my VFR, I found that it actually got better fuel economy and less pinging and weirdness with lower octane fuel. My l'il CRF is already getting 68-73 mpg (3.2-3.6 l/100 km) and it's not even broken in yet - all with regular gas.

4. DrGadget

DrGadget New Member

Yeah, my bike is not broken in yet either, The first weekend I got the bike, I tested the bike and was getting the same fuel mileage as you but after all the mods, I'm lucky if I get 50 mpg now. Thanks for the info, I'm gonna give it a try this weekend and see what it does.

5. Kompact

Kompact New Member

"In the manual it says I should use 91 octane and I've been using 89 octane, and the manual says if I use a lower octane, it would reduce performance, Is that right?"

If the people that designed the engine say that then it's true.

6. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

Here's the manual entry - RON 91 or 87 octane if you look it up. That's regular gasoline (in Canada and the USA at least). You're right, Kompact, that's exactly what the engine is designed for. Save your pennies and buy extras for your bike. ;)

Attached Files:

7. DrGadget

DrGadget New Member

Your right but I've been putting medium octane for almost a month now and notice a little more pep but my bike is modified. In the manual it says RON 91 or higher. I'm going to try high octane next to see if it changes anything.

superfunkomatic likes this.
  8. Captain Adventure

Captain Adventure New Member

A RON of 91 = 87 Octane in US. Higher octanes produce less detonation within the cylinder combustion chamber, and in some fuel injected engines helps prevent vapor lock.
    Would be beneficial to burn ethanol free also !