Quietest exhaust choice

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L General Discussion' started by Epy, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Epy

Epy New Member

Hi all, first time posting here. I came from ADVrider. Wondering what the quietest muffler available is. I want to get an aftermarket muffler for the weight savings and slight power increase, but don't want something overly loud. I've seen many people buy the FMF Q4 only to get rid of it later because it was too loud.

2. mattkorguk

mattkorguk Member

I have the PowerCore4 with megabomb...it's not quiet. If it's quiet you're after, just stick with the OEM one and just add the EJK for a little power increase.

JR45 likes this.
  3. focus frenzy

focus frenzy New Member

I have a FMF Q4 and for some reason it is not remotely quiet on this bike, I know someone with one on a DR650 and it is reasonable on it.
    I have tried quieting it up but no luck.
    you can remove the spark arrestor from the stock muffler and remove 3.5 inches from the internal pipe and re-weld. this bypasses a couple turns and reduces back pressure and gives it a bit more sound.

4. echo5

echo5 Member

Stick with the stock muffler. The general consensus of old fart bikers like me with thousands of years of collective experience is after market mufflers make a lot of noise and do little to increase power.

The after market mufflers on my Honda clone Harley used to set of car alarms as I rumbled past!

I like noisy mufflers...people used to pull over when they heard me behind them! I saw looks of abject terror in their faces sometimes! Having seen a number of car caused motorcycle accidents/fatalities the driving public could use a little more motorcycle awareness.

JR45 likes this.
  5. JR45

JR45 Member

Honda spent lots of time and money developing the standard exhaust as the best compromise of noise, power and economy.
    An after-market exhaust, on its own, will do little to increase power - it needs to be matched by changes in the intake system, fuel mapping etc to achieve any serious improvement - but it will increase noise. If you want quiet, just stick with the OEM system.

6. oliviernap

oliviernap New Member

My personal pick is the stock muffler with the arrow racing downpipe , works perfectly well with the new K&N air filter and no airbox mods
    I've tried everything on my crf250l including the electronic jet box , but the best option for a real dual purpose use is to change only
    for an ARROW downpipe
    a K&N filter
    a 42 teeth rear sprocket

mikectm2 and JR45 like this.
  7. JR45

JR45 Member

Sound advice - the original downpipe is very un-Honda-like in that the quality is not great. The paint comes off easily and it rusts quite quickly. And a K&N will always be better than a paper or foam filter...

8. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

To back up Oliviernap I swapped to a bigger rear sprocket (44t) and she scoots quite nicely now. I like the idea of the arrows DP ... I'll have to do some more research on that one.

Is there a noticeable difference in throttle response with the Arrows DP?

9. mikectm2

mikectm2 New Member

Glad i found this Forum. This would be my first post here. What is the number of teeth of the original/ OEM rear sprocket ?
    Is going to a 44 - tooth ..or a 42 - tooth ..require a different chain ? ..as i write that i realize the answer is most likely no.
    I'm looking to get a new 2016 CRF250L ..most likely next month. Can the dealership put on a 44T ..or will they be reluctant to do that ?

I appreciate this thread. Will be staying with the OEM exhaust. ..which i already figured. ..but was great to read this.

10. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

Iirc the stock gearing is a 40t but please correct me if wrong. I went up to a 44t and that needs a new, longer chain. A 42t might be okay with the stock chain.

The stock exhaust is fine for me, but I want to keep things quiet. All the after market exhaust I hear are too loud for me... But mostly because I want to stay stealth. :)

Will the dealer change the gearing? Maybe. But it is so ridiculously easy that you can do it. If not, find a good MX shop and they will do it.

11. Max

Max New Member

The front sprocket change to 13T is the easiest and cheapest to complete. You don't need to remove the rear wheel (stock 40T).
    Keeping 14T front and going 42T rear is marginally different (calculated slower top speed) but involves more work and cost. This has kept me from trying this.
    If off road mostly, then the consensus is that the 44T would be better but would need a new chain.

12. gbk69

gbk69 New Member

I have done some semi-tough trail riding recently in southern Missouri. I have stock exhaust, air filter and no remapping. I had a lot of gear loaded on the bike, a 2 gal rotopax on back and my 225lbs. The only changes to bike 13t/42t sprockets. Plenty of juice to get up sketchy hills, etc. All problems I experienced were due to operator error.

I like the quiet of the stock exhaust...so it stays.

13. nhodokrum

nhodokrum New Member

sounds like a lot of you sticking with stock exhaust.. i have a '13 with a full FMF system (powerbomb header, powercore4) the system was on it when I bought it. I like it but its a bit loud. am looking for someone to swap me a Q4. or I might look for a Quietcore insert for mine.

14. Captain Adventure

Captain Adventure New Member

I had to remove my FMF Q4 exhaust. (It’s for sale along with the Megabomb Header btw!) After a 2 hour trail ride my ears were ringing. Some suggest “repacking” the Q4, but this might only reduce noise by a few decibels. I’m back to the OEM exhaust - it’s heavier but whisper quiet and makes much less noise pollution !

15. Whizzy

Whizzy New Member

My bike came with a FMF Q4, and repacking did not make it any quiter. I agree with you, loud pipes give me a headache.