too old

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ibdshharpe, Dec 19, 2021.

1. ibdshharpe

ibdshharpe New Member

hi to all,
    I'll be, with some luck, 79 next month and live on a lake in north central Arkansas. Have been back on bikes since '95. Wanted to try and do at least the Arkansas section of the Trans America Trail before I have to hang up the off-road stuff. I bought my crf250 rally 3 yrs ago (age 75) and had some nice rides off road with only a couple of get-offs til March 2019. Approaching a mud puddle (small pond) on the TAT (Arkansas section), I decided to bust on thru it like Eli Tomac:) As the late comedian John Pinette would say in his wisdom, "NAY-NAY" while doing a flyin W dismount as my riding partner (who should have had better sense than to let me lead) said missing a tree by less than an inch. However, I was able to break my fall by breaking my right arm. (There's a great story to be told at that point, but not enough time to tell ya now)
    As you can imagine, the bike was not ridden for many a month as these old bones tried to heal. Then along came 2020 and we all know that story too well. Received a notice from Honda about a recall on my bike that year and decided there could be no better time to have this done. Loaded her up and carried to my dealer about 50 miles from home. Weeks later I picked it up and trailered back home, cuz doctor said I wasn't ready to ride yet. When I was given ok to ride, took her out of garage and didn't get a mile from house when it started to jump in and out of gear and just act erratic. Loaded it up and back to dealer and they kept it couple more weeks. This time when I picked it up I rode it home to make sure it was right before getting too far from dealership. All did fine and only rode short rides on road for a while as I was still a little spooked bout having another crash with lengthy recovery required at my ripe old age.
    Went to move it around in garage this week and noticed the spot on floor. Thought it was oil, but evidently it's coolant. All this boring story leads me up to contacting your forum for help in determining the cause before heading back to the dealership.
    Thanks for allowing me to vent about such a great bike where Honda problems seldom occur.

2. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Ouch! Glad you're on the mend. Strange that it feels like it's jumping in and out of gear.