Fuel pump problems?

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by Joe M., Dec 26, 2021.

1. Joe M.

Joe M. New Member

After changing out my battery in my 2016 CRF250L with less than 1500 miles on it for the first time the bike would run a short amount of time then die. Got so it was down to about 5-10 seconds then it would shut off. I have spark and i can hear the pump prime when key is turned on. Any input would be appreciated. Thank,Joe

2. Merritt64

Merritt64 New Member

Hey Joe, always start with the easy things when troubleshooting. Ensure that the bolts on the battery terminals are properly torqued.

3. Joe M.

Joe M. New Member

The positive terminal was a little loose but tightened it up yesterday during trouble shooting. Now it won't start at all. Pulled plug wire and plugged one in and it has spark but more yellow than blue, i can hear the fuel pump priming when the key is turned on and when the stater is engaged. Tried starter fluid and don't even get a pop. Bike is like brand new with 1400 miles on it and has never even been washed with water. My old Yamaha RD'S are a lot easier to diagnose. Thanks for getting back to me, I'll keep racking my brain and maybe something will click.

4. Merritt64

Merritt64 New Member

Have you load tested the battery Joe?

5. Joe M.

Joe M. New Member

No but it turns over the bike just fine and it is brand new. This was the first ride and it hickupped about a block from the house and quit at about a half mile. Would and did restart several times but would only run for 5-10 seconds. That was idle or i could rev it up then it would die. I pushed it home and it would still start then die. Now won't start at all. I'm old school and this one has me baffled.

6. Merritt64

Merritt64 New Member

How old is the spark plug?

7. Joe M.

Joe M. New Member

It is original. The bike only has just over 1400 miles on it.

8. Merritt64

Merritt64 New Member

If you are confident that it's not an electrical issue then it is more than likely fuel related. Make sure that your battery is fully charged before starting any further troubleshooting. Once again, I would start with the easiest first. Drain the fuel tank and replace with fresh gas that is ethanol free if possible. See if that makes a difference. If not, then you may have to take the fuel tank apart and have a look at the fuel filter. Hope this helps.

9. Joe M.

Joe M. New Member

So it ended being the plug which is an iridium with 1400 miles I would of never had thought would go bad. If it wasn't so hard to get out i'd have pulled it out first thing. Sure don't make them like they use to.

Alex likes this.
  10. Merritt64

Merritt64 New Member

Glad you've got it sorted out. I try to change out my plug every year on my dual sports. I can be deep in the back woods and don't want to have an issue with my spark plugs. Might seem like overkill but not if you're deep in the back woods with a spark plug issue!

11. rfranzke1

rfranzke1 New Member

My bike is also a 2016 and is having the same issue. It starts right up with no problems but sometimes it just dies on me. It has 2200 miles and they guy I bought it from had it serviced in October. He had a new fuel pump put in and cleaned the injectors. It seems to have an irregular idle at times and doesn't get the gas mileage it should. The throttle response seems to be pretty slow at times as well. This bike is completely stock other than a luggage rack on the back. Anyone got any ideas as to what could the problem?