I think I'm gonna pull the trigger...

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by beardo, Sep 9, 2013.

1. beardo

beardo Member

...on a BIG BORE kit!

The more I ride this bike, especially after doing each mod, the more I love it! The smaller frame and lower stance of the bike fits me like a glove. Have no complaints about that. Now, the power, I'm used to road bikes, and obviously more power. But, I'm newer to dirt and as I gain experience, I keep wishing for just a bit more oomph. Not a lot, just a bit more. I would be content with this bike being 300 lbs and 30 hp at the wheel. For me, the bike would be perfect. So, I'm going to call Forrest today at Wheeling Cycle Supply (I have dealt with him face to face) and get this kit ordered up. I'll install the bigger throttle body when the Big Bore kit goes on.

Alex likes this.
  2. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Is 30 hp feasible, even with that kit? It seems like a huge step up from stock.

3. beardo

beardo Member

It would be stock. Got to keep in mind all the mods that will have gone into the bike.

Full exhaust, EJK tuner, air box mods, Uni filter, 38mm CBR throttle body, plus the Big Bore kit.

From what I understand, the CBR guys are seeing around 32hp.

4. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Sounds like fun! :thumbup: Do people with similar mods see a significant effect on fuel mileage, or does it only use more if you're actually caning it at the time?

XxAnthxX likes this.
  5. beardo

beardo Member

Fuel milage. That's a funny subject!

In theory, I shouldn't see a significant drop when simply cuising along, or at lower RPMs. Think about this, the motor isn't working as hard at making it's power.

Now if I'm hammering on it, well, that could be a different story...

6. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

I don't care terribly about fuel miileage, and generally get the low end of ranges I see on the net, no matter what bike I'm riding. The stat that does matter to me a bit more though, is range. Our CRF has such a small tank (by streetbike standards), that I think fuel mileage might affect my riding a bit more on this bike than on any other.

7. beardo

beardo Member

I hear ya there! I'll be adding capacity when I take my trip!

8. beardo

beardo Member

OH, btw, I pulled the trigger...past tense!

Alex likes this.
  9. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

For the Iron Butt Rally this past summer, I added a 4-gallon fuel cell onto my RT, so had a a little over 10 gallons of fuel on board. It was quite freeing to be on a bike with 400+ mile range!

10. beardo

beardo Member

In all honesty, I don't want to be on a bike that long. Earlier this year, I did 1K down to FLA and then did the 1K back. It wasn't enjoyable. BUT, I've never done it just to do it. Rather than the timed vacation, kind of a thing, ya know?

11. beardo

beardo Member

I got a call from Tiff yesterday at WCS. Said my BB kit was due to ship tomorrow!

12. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

[​IMG]

:)

13. beardo

beardo Member

Alex! Stop posting that stuff! My bladder is weak as it is! LOL

14. beardo

beardo Member

Well, it's in! It rained here (Pittsburgh) all day long yesterday, so it's was good timing, cause yesterday is when it showed up!

I still need to sort out the fueling. I'm still trying to get used to this new fangled tuner. I'm used to jets!

Before I wheeled the bike back outside to test, I went back to stock gearing, as I was running 13/42.

Overall, it's has WAY more power. Everywhere! From idle to redline, it pulls! I also installed the CBR throttle body at the same time, so I don't know if it 'helped out' but figured it couldn't hurt.

This bike was a keeper before, but it just might make me want to sell everything else and just get an extra set of wheels.

15. beardo

beardo Member

OK, here is my update...I think I messed up reinstalling the front cam guide!!

It runs, and has way more power, BUT I don't want to grenade anything, so I ordered new gaskets and will tear down to inspect everything. A few more dollars is worth my sanity! LOL

16. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Better to be safe! :)

17. danziger

danziger New Member

Please keep us updated as it sounds like a killer ride!

18. beardo

beardo Member

The conversion is done. What would you like to know?

19. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Everything you expected it to be? Anything you'd do differently?

20. beardo

beardo Member

The bike is night and day different. 33% more power makes a huge difference.

Anything different? Yeah, listen to the man that makes the freakin kit when he said make sure you have the Big Bore tuner and not the standard 250 tuner!!!