brake pads

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by bert247, Mar 11, 2014.

1. bert247

bert247 New Member

Hi Has anyone else had an issue with brake pads. Mine were completely worn out after only 1900 miles. It makes me wonder if the standard fit ones are made of chocolate. Honda wanted £95 for front and rear. Which I think is about $140

2. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Youch! That is wearing through them quite quickly. How are you using the bike; mostly on the street or dirt?

3. bert247

bert247 New Member

Mostly mud

4. bert247

bert247 New Member

Been trying to upload a vid to u tube and post a link so you can see what its like where I go. Very muddy and huge puddles

5. beardo

beardo Member

If that's the case, you are going to have to give extra care to keeping the caliper clean. I would be curious if the brake fluid is contaminated.

Btw, when I go for replaced pads, I'll be going to the aftermarket. Cheaper and better materials.

6. bert247

bert247 New Member

I've fitted ebc tt and they give more bite and feel

7. beardo

beardo Member

That's what I'm going with when my stockers bite the dust.

8. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Member

Yeah, go on Ebay and find aftermarket pads, the brakes are Wave and Sonic scooter units, so pads are the best upgrade depending on your riding! I also changed to DOT 5 synthetic, its the best you can put in with my SS lines!

9. cowboy

cowboy Member

Sounds like I should check mine.
    Even allowing for the small disc size, the brakes are not that impressive altogether so better pads seem sensible anyway.
    They did seem to improve after the first few rides - or maybe I just got used to them.

10. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Member

Keep in mind, Honda uses Sonic/Wave scooter calipers! replace with a better set of pads, EBC carbon/graphite x are really about the best. I run them and they are awesome. But do some searching on what is best for you and your riding!