Ordered a new exhaust

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by beardo, Aug 30, 2013.

1. beardo

beardo Member

I went for the cheapest full exhaust I could find, a Big Gun system. I simply wanted something on there that would help the intake side of my mods. I personally could care less in how it looks, as long as it performs. And from what I have seen, there isn't much difference, performace wise, between all the systems. Let's face it, there is only so much power you can extract without doing internal mods, whether they big a big bore kit or cams.

I do have a throttle body and ECU from a CBR250R that are waiting in the wings. I have put off installing those items because the exhaust is choking the system as it is. So once I have the exhaust, I think I'll get off my rear and do it all at once. On a side note, I have had a hard time finding CBR cams on the cheap. I'm not trying to sink a pile of money into the bike. So I'm taking my time seeking out deals and/or good used parts.

I'll keep ya posted!

Alex likes this.
  2. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Nice! What intake mods have you done already? It seems like everyone likes the EJK unit to up the fuel curve a bit. With the CBR ECU, I wonder if that would be still be useful.

3. turnbuckle

turnbuckle New Member

I ran the full Big gun unit (Header, can) on my Xr650r- Way lighter than stock, but loud. Later I found out that they made a db killer for it, dropped the sound down to a reasonable level.
    [​IMG]
    Have you ordered it yet? Does it come with a usfs spark arrestor? Can the sound be toned down?
    I modified the stock exhaust on my 250l (Cut it in half and drilled crossover holes) but left the cat converter and SA intact. Seat of the pants gain? Better, but not full tilt.
    Let us know what ya think about the BG unit.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  4. beardo

beardo Member

I do indeed have the EJK and modified the air box and filter (I'll get a Uni or the like when this one is done) so I'm prepared for an exhaust. I haven't altered the settings since I knew I would be installing an exhaust sooner rather than latter, so it is running rich.

The BG is ordered and should be here by mid week. It says it is USFS approved. I know it's going to be louder than stock. In my mind, it couldn't be louder than a Harley motor, could it?

I bought the CBR ECM to work with the throttle body. Different part numbers, so I was thinking different maps.

5. beardo

beardo Member

Fedex says 'out for delivery'!

6. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

[​IMG]

7. beardo

beardo Member

8. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

What's the verdict?

9. beardo

beardo Member

It gave me the upper RPMs!

10. beardo

beardo Member

Ok, here are some more in depth thoughts about this pipe. The power now feels more complete. From bottom to top, it has more grunt. But it also has the power to pull cleanly all the way up to red line in the first 4 gears. The stock exhaust is a big time bottleneck, as most stockers are. The difference in weight cannot be dismissed either. Night and day. More like a twenty pound difference. I was told by the dealer tech it weighed a ton, but that much? Come on? Yep, the stock exhaust is one heavy bugger!

Now that I have the basics done, I'm going to bolt the CBR throttle body and ECU on. I found out today the cams are the same!

11. jimny

jimny New Member

how much for the exhaust system

12. beardo

beardo Member

I really don't remember. If memory serves, it was around the $350 range?

13. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Member

I have read many things on throttle bodies and most say they dont make any difference on the L, curious to see how yours works out! I think cams are a better performance mod for the buck! Keep me posted!!!

check this out,
    Daniel Crower Racing Contact Reply
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a mild set of drop ins and a full race set , I can send you
    either ones. the full race ones are needing valve springs to rev higher
    if a modified ecu. im just getting into the 250L now as the just came
    out here. I will produce more performance parts soon. keep in touch
    thank you

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please DO NOT reply to this e-mail - this is a send-only address and
    does not receive email, and you will not receive a response. To add
    additional comments, please use the following link for a full record of
    all correspondence.

http://danielcrowerracing.com/contact.html?view=View&req=350476:ba6743604e3bfb8b4bc3ebb896460634

Best Regards,
    Daniel Crower Racing

14. beardo

beardo Member

I sent a email to Daniel Crower. I would like to see what he has that would work with my motor.