Airbox Mod

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by captain canuck, Feb 9, 2014.

1. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

Today I was trying to figure out how to mod my airbox. I had heard in another thead that the way to mod the airbox is to take out the snorkel, drill holes in the top and cut the cover in half. I've got a few questions about the mod though:

1st: will there be any problem with dirt getting in this open hole where the snorkel used to be?
    IMG_6274.JPG

2nd: Where am I supposed to drill the holes in the top and how many/ how large of a hole?

3rd: Someone suggested cutting the cover in half; is this the cover? If so where should I cut it at?
    IMG_6273.JPG

All info and tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mike310

Mike310 Member

Yeah me too, whats the deal with this? I would rather have a uni filter or something than a chopped stock box though.

3. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

I ended up figuring it out; if you do this mod and take the backfire screen off of your stock air filter the bike has a better sound to it and seems to have a bit more power.

4. beardo

beardo Member

All I did was remove the snorkel and drilling big holes in the top half of the cover.

I did NO modding of the box itself.

I also removed the screen on the intake side of the air cleaner.

Think hard about getting a turner on your bikes. They are lean as it is...

captain canuck likes this.
  5. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

When you say turner do you mean a fuel injection controller?

6. beardo

beardo Member

Yes. I went with an EJK. Excellent customer service. If you go bit bore, send it back to them and they upgrade the controller for free.

As a bonus, if you have honorably served, they will give you a healthy discount.

7. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

Oh that's cool that you can get a discount. I'll have to have my dad buy it for me then because he was in the army for about 20 years XD

8. beardo

beardo Member

XD? What is that?

Don't take advantage. How bout YOU join and serve and THEN you will have EARNED that discount...

9. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

XD is equivalent to :D and I'm not even going to respond to that second part.

10. beardo

beardo Member

Join the Marines kid. I'll do you some good.

11. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

I'd much rather join the fire department, which I already will be doing when I'm out of college.

12. beardo

beardo Member

Sometimes, it's not about what you want...