Confused

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by Vman1313, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

CrayCray (my CRF250L) hit a little over 600 miles so I took her to the Honda Dealer for her first service. The guy laughed and said it would be 3 weeks before he could get to her because they were slammed. On the same day I had loaded up KiKi (my Ninja 300) to take to the Kawasaki Dealer and when he saw the Honda on alsoon the trailer he asked what was wrong. I told him nothing was wrong but told him what the Honda Dealer dude said and he laughed, he said leave both and Ill have both done in a couple of days. I left the Ninja but was hesitant to leave the Honda since it wasnt a Honda dealer and I didnt want for something to go wrong down the road and Honda come back and say they wont honor the warranty because I took the bike to a Kawasaki dealer for her first service.

Does anyone think I would have voided the warranty allowing a Kawasaki Dealer do my first service on my Honda? Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

2. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

That's a good question, I think best thing to do may be to contact Honda and ask them this. I think as long as they're a reputable mechanic it should be fine. Then again this is my first motorcycle and I am only 20 years old so I could be compleeetelyy wrong.

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

Generally they seem more relaxed about this sort of thing these days and provided a mechanic you take it too has proven qualifications they'd be unlikely to quibble much if something went wrong under warranty.
    Is there supposed to be a valve check at 600 miles?
    I just changed the oil and filter myself, plus went over it carefully in case anything was coming lose - less than an hour in total.

4. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

@captain canuck - Yeah, I posted it more to get people thinking about warranty and maintenance but was also curious as to what people thought or do themselves.

@cowboy - 600 miles calls for standard oil change but also valve check and a slugh of other inspections. I have manual and pdf of manual if you need/want a copy.

5. beardo

beardo Member

To be blunt, there is nothing to these bikes. Simple, cheap an easy. Do the work yourself. Nothing on these bikes is obnoxiously expensive.

6. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

I ended up calling Honda Warranty people and was directed to their warranty pamphlet which you are given when you buy their bike. And in that pamphlet it clearly states that you may do your own work on bikes with out voiding warranty. So I took my bike to Kawi place, they did oil change, checked and adjusted valves, checked all fluids, chain, and a ton of all kinds of other stuff. Ended up being $175 but I was pleased with what had been done and I know it was done correctly. Not sure if its mental or real but bike is running smoother and gas mileage seems to be getting better now.

7. beardo

beardo Member

It's running better because it continues to break in. These motors are extremely tight from new.

Keep in mind, these aren't bikes from the 60s, 70s or whatever. Metallurgy and technology have grown leaps and bounds.

As much as people have it in their mind that Honda's are still throw away bikes, nothing could be further from the truth.

The more miles you put on this bike, the better it will feel and more power it will produce.

8. JustWantToRide

JustWantToRide New Member

20140227_174713.jpg 20140301_112522.jpg I do all the work on my bikes. I've worked in several shops and while there are some great mechanics, there are too many that don't take pride in their work and will do stuff like this inspection/license plate that is just comically wrong (3" off to one side, bends to cover up a reflector...). It took me one minute to fix it.

9. beardo

beardo Member

And it's **** like that that makes me not trust someone else with my bike.

I have worked in shops, as well. So you know all too well why people should do their own work.

Hell, these bikes aren't much more complicated than a brick.

10. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Member

I had a big run in with Honda AP, forgot to get my book signed at 8k I believe, had an issue later on, and they voided my warranty coz of it and coz I did not use Honda oil, I use Royal Purple and KN filter.
    Go figure. The guys at Honda AP are total dicks, or should I say the one guy who handled my inquiry! Warning, be careful! My baby has best of everything and they totally blew me off!
    As a not, would never take the bike to anyone but a certified Honda dealer during warranty period if ur that concerned.
    Also anyone having probs with their cam chain adjuster, its is a big deal, especially for the CBR's!