clutch

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by bert247, Mar 20, 2014.

1. bert247

bert247 New Member

Clutch springs on my bike were far too weak. I could pull in the clutch with my little finger. After taking them out I can squeeze between my forefinger and thumb. The ebc ckutch and springs I've fitted in place have made a massive difference to feel of the clutch. Far more positive. It never felt like that before. Clutch kit number. 1313 cbr clutch and stronger springs for the kit

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

The clutch is incredibly light, but I've never had a problem with it slipping or not allowing for full torque; are you seeing any performance advantage with the stiffer springs?

3. bert247

bert247 New Member

I haven't had chance to fully test yet. I'll let you know

4. bert247

bert247 New Member

After having had a honda tech look at my old clutch. That only 2 Of the plates were actually engaging properly the rest were slipping

5. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Ah - good find!

6. bert247

bert247 New Member

They won't honour the warranty though as I do my own servicing and maintenance

7. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

If you have receipts for the materials you used, they can only refuse to honor the warranty if they have a legitimate reason to believe your work caused the problem. Otherwise the warranty remains, by law.

8. bert247

bert247 New Member

Its a little different here in the UK. They can make up pretty much any reason they like to get out of a warranty claim. Modifications of any kind, non honda main dealers service. Agressive riding. Any type of riding not specified in manual. I was reading it today

9. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Ah, understood. That's too bad. There are shady dealers here in the US who do try to invalidate warranties for crappy (and unsustainable) reasons, but the laws are written to protect the consumer in most cases.

10. bert247

bert247 New Member

They wanted around 500 bucks for a first service so I told them they were taking the piss. Now they say no service history no warranty. Even though I bough the service items from them and got the valve clearance data from them

11. beardo

beardo Member

I appreciate the heads up on the clutch kit. I hadn't been aware that EBC came out with a kit for the CRF (CBR) because that's where I needed to go next. With all the mods I have done, the stock clutch has been the weak point. And would be useless installing cams in top of everything else.

12. bert247

bert247 New Member

I fitted the cbr clutch because you get an extra 10% friction plate surface area due to not having judder spring. How well this will work out in the long term is yet to be seen. Ck 1313 for cbr kit. Ck 1314 for correct crf ebc kit. I spoke to guy at ebc and they said they have designed a special plate for judder spring area. Nowhere had any stock though.

13. JPD

JPD Member

Just did my clutch this afternoon. Judder Spring was removed, new EBC Springs & Friction Plates (CK1313). I also replaced the 1 Steel Plate "B" OEM#22322-KZZ-901 (next to the Judder Spring) with Plate OEM#231-KYJ-902. New Gasket, oill, Filter and Coolant . Just had the bike out for a quick test drive around the block (too cold) so far so good.
    IMG_20171203_171958.jpg

IMG_20180212_112908.jpg

IMG_20180215_142740.jpg
    IMG_20180215_135022.jpg

14. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Nice!

15. JPD

JPD Member

When removing the cover do not lift the Clutch Lifter Arm or the Return Spring may fall inside the casing.

Warning from the shop manual.
    warning.jpg

Return Spring missing from clutch lifter arm after removing the right crankcase cover.
    missingspring.jpg

Could not find the spring anywhere, took a guess that the spring might had dropped inside the oil sum...It was retrieved with a magnet on plastic tubing.
    IMG_20180227_163909.jpg

superfunkomatic likes this.
  16. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Glad you found it!

17. Thai Guy

Thai Guy New Member

Yes, the OEM CRF clutch is quite weak. Cheap to buy here in Thailand, but does not hold up to normal user abuse. Holds up for years of driving sane...really! That said...I am not sane. I am hard on clutches and not from wheelies, but hard shifting through corners. I have a slipper clutch, designed for Super Motard use. I love the design and have spent mega bucks on all of my rides. We use Takagawa unit quite a bit here...no extra import duty as Thai Gov has trade agreements...we pay around $265 USD. We have seen packages that near $1000! Not seen the 650+ $$ advantage.

18. Bmart

Bmart New Member

The previous owner did a lot to this bike including a "HD" clutch/kit. IMHO, it sucks. The engagement is too short. I moved it out quite a bit so it could be managed with fingers instead of my palm. Additionally, when cold, the bike stalls when put into gear, like the plates aren't releasing, or there is an extra plate or too stiff of a spring. If I take it apart, is there an easy way to tell what parts are in there? I'd like to keep down time to a minimum, as I'm having a blast on it!