Heidenau tires

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by beardo, Aug 28, 2013.

1. beardo

beardo Member

Has anyone used the Heidenau K60 tires before? I am thinking ahead for a change and want some tires onhand before the stockers bite the dust.

2. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Great topic. I also like having the next set ready to go before the existing ones hit their end of life; it's never fun waiting for ordering when you really need 'em. No experience with the Heidenau's, but I hope some folks come along to chime in. How did you get along with the stock tires? Reviews online seem like the IRC's are iffy for dirt or mud, but I have so little experience it's hard to even have an opinion yet.

3. beardo

beardo Member

I'm new to riding in dirt. It's been relearning what I thought I already knew. I'm in the same boat. I really don't know what to truly look for off road. My experience comes from the road. But since that's not a priority for this bike, other experience will come into play. I've heard a lot of good things about the K60 and seemed to be priced well.

4. turnbuckle

turnbuckle New Member

I looked hard at the K60's a while back. There's a bunch of reviews over at advrider on them.
    I believe the only rear size that will fit our bike is the 4.00-18- the 140 would be way too much tire an probably not fit anyways.
    The 4.00-18 is kinda hard to find in the US, but this seems like a decent price on the 4.00 from a reputable source.
    http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-sho...ure/heidenau-k60-dual-sport-tires-detail.html
    Dual sport tires are always a compromise- some are more dirt oriented, some more street.
    I've found that the more dirt oriented the tire is, the quicker it wears on pavement. The more street oriented, the quicker you face plant in the dirt.
    On my previous DS bikes I always ran Pirelli MT21's f/r. Great tire in most conditions, but only last about 2K on pavement. .
    Right now I'm running Avon Distansa's for the street, knobbies in the dirt. I know, seems like a hassle switching back & forth, but I don't mind.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  5. beardo

beardo Member

What about the 120 for the rear?

6. turnbuckle

turnbuckle New Member

Heck, I overlooked that size on their site, good find.
    The price is the same as the 4.00, call them and ask which one's bigger.
    Personally, I run either 110's or 120's on my 450's, the 250's just don't have the HP to spin anything bigger than a 100 or 110.
    If you over tire on a small bike, you burn up power trying to spin the extra mass and the wider footprint generates more friction with the ground.
    I went with 110's on my crf250l- I was gonna go with 100's, but I worried if dropped the rear that low I might affect the geometry of the bike. Why Honda decided on a 120 rear escapes me---

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  7. beardo

beardo Member

I would suspect they fit a 120 because of the street aspect. That's my take though, so only they really know.

8. jjustj

jjustj New Member

although they are tall. i will replace my stock tires when worn out for pirelli mt 43 these rock off road not bad on road dot approved They are similar to
    a trials tire yet beefier, one type of riding they do not do well in is extreme mud, i have used these exclusively on my 06 ktm 450 exc. I n the past i competed in trials for 10 years +.THESE ARE NOT A TRUE TRIALS TIRE! similar pattern and different composition. If you are vertically challenged ( short), i suggest a different tire. :) just my 2 cents worth

9. beardo

beardo Member

My question about the MT43 is this, how long do they last? The big reason I want to use the K60 is longevity. I'll be taking a very long trip come spring time and want to minimize time spent dealing with tires.

10. jjustj

jjustj New Member

lasted 4000 miles on my 450 but i wasnt loaded for a trip so......

11. beardo

beardo Member

Only 4K miles would be a problem. I've read many places guys getting between 8-12K on the rear K60, depending on bike an load. So, those are what I'll probably use for the trip.

12. jjustj

jjustj New Member

keep us posted!! trip etc, tires. thanks!

13. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Member

I run a 4.60 Shinko 700 on the rear and a 3.25 Kenda on the front and love the combo, I do a lot of street riding but both handle the dirt well here in Thai!

Attached Files:

Alex likes this.
  14. IdahoRdRider

IdahoRdRider New Member

I ran the Heidenau K60's to Alaska and back from Idaho on KLR 650's. 7500 miles -- at least 1/3 left. I will buy them for my CRF 250L when the time comes. Great tires.

Alex likes this.
  15. Kompact

Kompact New Member

I ride year round and have Heidenau's on two of my other bikes and LOVE them. I can't speak to their dirt tires but the all season K66 are amazing.

16. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

I have them fitted to my Cruiser, I know that's different but I think they are a good all rounder, longevity and grip in the wet and dry......hopefully the dirt tyres are as good

17. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Birk likes this.