2017 crf250l parts compatibility

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by Evergreen Life, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Evergreen Life

Evergreen Life Member

Hey guys.
    I recently picked up a '17 crf250l after not riding on 2 wheels for 5 years. It's been a great "go anywhere, do anything" bike. Really enjoying it.

I'm having trouble finding parts for the '17. Everything seems to be 12-16 so here are my questions:
    -Will the same front sprocket fit on any year crf250l? I'm finding conflicting info here...
    -Will the same oil filter fit any year? Anyone have oil filter part #s for the '17? Any good deals out there?

Thanks for any compatibility info you can share~
    6268.jpeg

2. Singlespeed92

Singlespeed92 New Member

IDK about the parts swapping,but wanted to wish you congratulations on the new scoot!

Evergreen Life likes this.
  3. Evergreen Life

Evergreen Life Member

Thanks Stephen! It's probably the only brand new vehicle I'll ever buy.

Your '16 is sweet! The utility value on it is off the charts. The wind shield must make longer trips pretty comfortable. The wind throws me around pretty good at 40+mph...

I ordered a JT 13T from amazon that apparently fits a '17, I'll report back if it does.
    JT Sprockets JTF1321.13 13T Steel Front Sprocket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AVQOI0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZhofAbFB00RE2

It appears that the front sprocket specs hasn't changed through all the years but I already tried a protaper 13t that was labeled 12-15 crf250l, it did not fit. Don't know if it was defective or if honda actually did retool the front sprocket somewhere along the way.

Still looking for info on the '17 oil filter and if older model filters will work?

Thanks in advance~

Singlespeed92 likes this.
  4. Singlespeed92

Singlespeed92 New Member

LOL,don't feel like the Lone Ranger...it's the first brand new vehicle (motorcycle or car/truck) I've owned in my 44 years too :p Back when I was a kid,I'd get a shiny new bike every so often (I was racing moto and woods races,so it was nice to stay competetive ;) ),but after that the CRFL was the first for me.

Thanks,and yeah,VERY utility minded. I originally started building it for ADV-style trips and moto-camping,but I've found it's really nice for errands and grocery runs too,hahaha! The windshield does help,but where I have it mounted needs a bit of tweaking yet. As is,the wind hits me about forehead level and there's lots (LOTS) of added wind noise because of it. I've already discovered,even in it's current position,it makes a big difference in keeping my body's core out of blustery cold air when riding at speed in cold temps (for eg,was 28 degrees when I hit I-81 and it's 70MPH speed zone yesterday--I was trying to see just how much it would help,LOL,so I figured the interstate would be the worst of it at those temps so that's what I did :p ).

I went and looked at the CRFL's Grandpa (assuming the CRF230L was it's "dad",LOL),a clean 1991 1 owner XR250L. It's showing it's age in a few spots,but overall has been lovingly maintained,and rans really well (I rode it for about an hour).Hoping to be able to bring it home this week too,fingers crossed :D (and hoping I'm not juixing it :p ) 003.JPG 004.JPG

Evergreen Life likes this.
  5. Evergreen Life

Evergreen Life Member

Nice man! I hope that bike comes home with you! Sounds like a nice find. There is definitely more room in that shop for atleast 2 more bikes ;)

Yeah, you are ready to roll out camping. That's badass. Would you recommend that windshield? It looks like you don't have to modify the bike to put it on? I like it!

Singlespeed92 likes this.
  6. Singlespeed92

Singlespeed92 New Member

The shop isn't mine,it's the owner of the XR's shop. I have no garage or even a shed currently...just some nice bike rain covers :p It did indeed come home with me today though (the XR250L) :D

I would recommend it so far--I've only got a few rides on it,and like I said I do need to remove and remount it on mine in a different position. I have ZERO doubt that I can find the perfect mounting spot for me/my needs,it's just a matter of trial and error (and I'm a lazy procrastinator here lately it seems :p ). It does it's job,was pretty easy/straightforward to install,is a decent brand (I've had their windshields on road bikes several times),and reasonably priced (under $70 USD on Amazon). Yeah,I'd recommend it :)

Got the XR paid for,hauled home,tagged,and insured enough to ride it around a bit this eve,rode it out to my favored local shop (repair shop,not a dealership,a "Mom n Pop" kind of place) to show it off a little (I go to church with 2 of the 3 guys there,amd riding buddies and good friends with all 3),they were uber jealous,LOL! Some pics from while there...(note that I don't really see why people white/block out their license plates when posting pics online--people see it when you'r eriding the thing in traffic,LOL,but I did it anyways to save anyone from telling me "you shouldn't post pics of your plates,man" :p)

002.JPG 004.JPG 003.JPG 001.JPG

7. Evergreen Life

Evergreen Life Member

Good stuff! Congrats on the XR :) It does look well taken care of/ not beaten up.

Still looking for that 2017 info!

8. Evergreen Life

Evergreen Life Member

Ok, I finally called my local Honda dealer and asked their parts department a bunch of questions about '17 parts. Here's what I found out:
    -They DID change the oil filter in '17. The '17 oil filter part # is 15410-KYJ-902 ('12-'16 is 15410-KYJ-901)
    -They have NOT changed the oil filter gasket. Same on all models. Part # is 15412-KYJ-901
    -Apparently they DID change the drive shaft specs in mid(?) '15 meaning the front sprocket specs changed as well. (Explains why my '12-'15 13t protaper front sprocket did not fit on my '17). Sounds like '16-'17 front sprockets are interchangeable (have not confirmed). The parts guy sounded less sure about the front sprocket/ drive shaft info...
    -The '17 still only requires 86+ octane gas with a maximum of 10% ethanol and 5% methanol (I had mistakenly written in a different post that it required 91 octane)

Anyway I hope this can be of help to other 2017 crf250l riders as there is not much '17 info out there.
    ~Cheers from WA State~

Alex likes this.
  9. crfGary

crfGary New Member

If that seat gets too hard for long rides you can replace it with a Seat Concepts seat which is great. If you need some good chain lube use Bel Ray Super Clean chain lube and it will keep your wheel, sprockets, and swing arm super clean. It doesn't fling off after it dries.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  10. Evergreen Life

Evergreen Life Member

Feb 2018 Update: DRC Edge 2 Fender Eliminator

DRC Edge 2 Fender Eliminator kit DOES fit the 2017 crf250l. Just recently did the install.
    -One important note is that the stock incandescent rear blinkers will NOT attach to the Edge 2 kit. They attach to the bike with a threaded L Bracket (instead of the simple 12-16 style nut/bolt). So you will have to replace the rear blinkers. Other than that it's good to go.

Hope this helps ☆☆☆