break in oil?

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by shiredevon, Jun 3, 2014.

1. shiredevon

shiredevon Member

Does anyone know if the bike has special oil supplied in it oil for break in?, there's no way i'm gonna wait till 600 before changing oil, however if the original oil is some special type i'll need to think again,

Bearing in mind i'm in the philippines and it'll probably come with some cooking oil in it!

2. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

I'd change it whenever you feel comfortable. No mention of break-in oil in the service manual or anywhere else reputable.

3. shiredevon

shiredevon Member

Fair enough mate, i'll go with the flow hehe

4. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

Yeah I got antsy and did mine at about 500mi. Not seen anything about it being special oil though.
    Did the first change with the oil and filter the dealer gave me when I bought the bike (Told them I probably would not be bringing it in for such things, even the first one since they are an hour away.).

Might look into a good synthetic or something for future changes.

5. shiredevon

shiredevon Member

Same as me cat flap, i'll do all my services, think i'll do a few changes on mineral then switch to synthetic, i figure it's only a small engine with a small oil reservoir so at least it'll give it the best chance.

6. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

I don't think there is any such thing as "Break in Oil". A lot of old-school thought says you should use non-synthetic oil for break in, but I call shenanigans on that. Too many car and bike manufacturers are shipping brand new with full-synthetic oil.

That said, just follow what the owners manual recommends.

As an aside, I changed the oil on two Honda 250s today. Both have less than 1000 miles. The oil out of both was filthy! So, make sure you do the first oil change according to the recommended schedule.

And since I know it will be asked, I replaced the factory oil with full-synthetic 10w-30.

Alex likes this.