CRF250L Dash Plate

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L General Discussion' started by Chris911, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Chris911

Chris911 New Member

Hi all,

So I'm kind of a gadgety guy and recently designed and 3D printed this CRF250L dash plate as a place to mount my USB/voltage charger and my accessory switches. (Its "off season" here in the Midwest so we gotta do something to keep busy)

Before I spend any more time on this (although its nearly done) does anyone else offer something like this? Any great ideas I should incorporate? I'm designing it to be snap-on so I can take it on and off and I prototype it.

THanks for any feedback.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Merritt64 likes this.
  2. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

That's a cool idea. I haven't seen anything like it. Is it just friction fit?

3. Chris911

Chris911 New Member

Initially it was but I have since improved the design to actually snap in around the computer and even added a logo. :)

[​IMG]

4. Chris911

Chris911 New Member

5. Merritt64

Merritt64 New Member

Wow, that is awesome! Most stuff that guys manufacture at home to save money look like they were manufactured at home. Not your dash plates. Nice work. :thumbup:

6. Chris911

Chris911 New Member

Thank you for the kind words. It was a fun project. Actually listed them on our website with options to customize the size and locations of the holes. I don't expect to actually sell any but what the heck. :)

7. Merritt64

Merritt64 New Member

What is the name of your website please?

8. Chris911

Chris911 New Member

9. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

It's an excellent idea for using that space! It has lots of potential for mounting a voltmeter, switches, and USB sockets.
    I'm not sure how expensive 3D printing is but $50 plus shipping to Canada puts this mod a bit out of reach. You might be able to sell the plan for those that have access to a 3D printer. Just a thought...

Merritt64 likes this.
  10. Merritt64

Merritt64 New Member

I agree with superfunkomatic, US$50 plus shipping puts this mod out of reach for me as well. I would love to install one however. It's a brilliant use of space.

11. Chris911

Chris911 New Member

Thanks for the candid feedback. I've mounted a Voltmeter/USB port and a switch for my LED projectors on it. You can see that on the second post.

So regarding price - what do you feel makes this reasonable? The material cost is negligible ($4-5). It's labor time. What do you feel is a fair price?

I set it at $50 because there is considerable labor time in setting up custom hole locations. I could make it solid instead of a matrix fill to make it "drillable". That makes setup time just 5-6 minutes each (vs. 30-40) but increases print time from 7 to 13 hours.

BTW I have some extras. If you are willing to test and provide me feedback - happy to send them for a nominal cost. (Shipping and $5 in material cost)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020 at 12:31 PM
  12. Chris911

Chris911 New Member

You can see here a "Traditional" print where the inside is a matrix instead of solid. This saves material and print time but then you cannot drill your own holes.

Attached Files:

13. Chris911

Chris911 New Member

If I print it solid instead of matrix fill - I can make it thinner and modify some support areas to reduce print time. THat will make it drillable so I don't need to charge for much setup time and reduce material cost and print time.

Thanks for the suggestions. This reduces the print time to 5.75 hours from 7.5 ; I'm going to print one and see how drillable it is.

If you want to try a version out, let me know.

14. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

I think that $20-25 would be reasonable. I agree, it's always labour and time put into the project and shipping organization that would be the most costly.
    I didn't realize they were so time-consuming to print - that's a lot of time to print them for sure.
    I have a voltmeter tucked up in that top spot already but having a more finished and drillable place would be better. I could put a hole in it for the cabling for my voltmeter (likely a tiny 3-5 mm hole).
    I'll take you up on your test deal if you like for a drillable one. I can send you payment by Paypal when you're ready. Just send me a DM.

Mike