CRF250L Stock Clutch Cable Length

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by Emre, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Emre

Emre New Member

Hi. I have a 2014 CRF250L. I set the clutch cable adjuster to its maximum but I still have too much freeplay. I don't have a clutch slipping problem. My problem is the opposite: Dragging. I suspect it might be because the clutch cable is stretched. Some people say I need to change the clutch disks and plates but I don't see how that will help me get rid of too much slack on the cable.

I need to know the stock clutch cable length so I can compare it to mine and see if my cable is stretched. If any of you know or can measue their 250L's clutch cable length, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. Thai Guy

Thai Guy New Member

Not seen this problem, but I am a CRF newbie. The book and many Google problems show a "shudder" spring, that seems to have caused many issues. It was a Honda effort to fix something?

Most remove it, but it must be replaced with a new friction disc and metal plate. I would would check into that, then attempt to readjust your lever free-play like the book says. Cable stretch dos happen, but should last many years.

3. Emre

Emre New Member

I opened the block and removed the clutch. The bearing in the middle of the clutch pressure plate is broken. That's why the cable couldn't fully pull the plate. I changed the bearing and the problem was solved. It was a really cheap fix.
    Here is the video of it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz8Hytke5H4

superfunkomatic likes this.
  4. Thai Guy

Thai Guy New Member

Wow...super worn out. I have done way more clutches in my life than I could count. Not seen one that bad on a small engine. Glad you found it!

Happy trails!