Dirt Bagz

Discussion in 'Cargo Space' started by CatFlap, Apr 5, 2014.

1. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

So I got the Dirt Bagz "Scout" set with the extra top bag. Getting the three bag kit makes the top flat bag like half price over ordering it later, and it all fits well together.
    I went with the Scout set due to just being slightly smaller than the Ranger set it will limit me as to just how much crap I can haul on the known to break sometimes rear subframe.

Love 'em so far. Getting to take them out and use them will be the real test. And the materials match my Wolfman Enduro tank bag. So other than logos I don't have mismatched luggage. Should be all the space I need for my camping trips.
    Only had to break out the Dremel for a few minutes to cut a couple things (your milage may vary on that depending on if you wanna be able to put the passenger footpegs back on later and what your rear fender rack is or isnt.

On to some pics and such.

The components. There was also an extra weatherproof cover for the top bag and the typical bag of hardware and instructions. The brackets seem plenty beefy and look to be powdercoated.
    [​IMG]

This was the spot the Dremel was needed. The pin that holds the foot rest would not clear the battery box (I took the plastic off). So to remove it I just pulled the pin and pushed it up a bit so I could cut the head off of it and drop it out the bottom.
    The hardware supplied with the bags and mounts had some thread locker already on the threads. Eventually I'm going to upgrade it with some locking nuts though.
    [​IMG]

The brackets on both sides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was another spot if you have a rear rack like I have that you have to cut down the spacer tubes (from CRF's Only, here is a link to the one I got http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/290_296/products_id/4876 There is also one that is Rotopax ready that can be bought from CRF's or Dirt Bagz). I cut off the thickness of the aluminum spacer that came with the bags and the mounting tab of the bag rack on each tube. Was about 11mm.
    [​IMG]

A couple pics of it all together. I threw a tent and sleeping pad in the top bag to make it not as floppy for the pics. But that plus a jacket, towel, etc. Will fit in it no problem on actual trips.
    (Of course once packed routing and tying up of extra strap length will be done, just kinda hanging loose for this though.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can also see my Wolfman Luggage Enduro tank bag. In my opinion the best one for the CRF. I tried others and they didn't fit very well or stay put. And since I want a bigger fuel tank eventually it had to have straps. I got the extra "X strap" that holds the straps in place when I don't want to have the tank bag on.
    I found it for like $75 on Amazon. It's normally closer to $100 everywhere else.

Website for the Dirt Bagz.
    This is for the 3 bag kit I got: http://www.dbzproducts.com/sets.htm
    And just the main page: http://www.dbzproducts.com/index.htm

And on a side note. I also ordered a tool roll from him. He forgot to put it in the box but it was on the invoice. I e-mailed and within minutes got an e-mail back saying he was packing one up now and shipping it out and a big apology. So seems like a good guy to do business with based on my experience.
    I also had the bags in about a week. And when I ordered he emailed me and said he was out of stock on the CRF250L brackets. So if he does not have something he can get/make it quick.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    Tim Harrison and captain canuck like this.
  2. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

I love the stuff that Wolfman puts out, it all seems like really quality equipment just like Kriega. However it may just be me but I feel like dirt bagz overcharges a bit and doesn't deliver a quality product. Are the bags and rack well made? I'd like to get some saddlebags and a top bag but I'd like to get some that aren't too expensive unless they're well made.

3. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

They seem to be made well enough to me. In fact aside from logos, they are made about the same way and out of the same materials as my Wolfman tank bag. Just wish they were waterproof, but I try to avoid camping trips in the rain when I'm on two wheels anyway But water crossings could be a problem. I'll just start putting things in a cheap dry bag and then putting it in the sidebags. Right now it's really the only option I've found that is made to fit the CRF250L. Used to be able to get racks to mount side bags on from Wolfman, but I read that the guy that was making the racks for them got out of it so they don't sell them anymore.

My one complaint. Where the side bags ride against the racks. With mud and such getting kicked up it gets in between them and I can see that wearing through the fabric after awhile. The top bag has an extra layer where it rides on my top rack. But the side bags don't where they ride against the side racks. So I may be adding a layer of something to them before it becomes a problem.

The side racks seem like they could be beefier. But do seem to be adequate. A hard wreck would probably bend up most racks.

Tried them all out with camping gear and such though and it all worked like a charm. :thumbup:

And yeah I did kinda choke on the price. But I liked the look of them and they work well for me so far so I'm glad I got them. Plus they are pretty light. Didn't want the luggage itself taking up weight capacity I could be using towards the contents. Of course if I brace the subframe some then that wouldn't really be an issue as much.

captain canuck likes this.
  4. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

Yeah, I saw that wolfman had racks on revzilla, I was kinda sad to see them not for sale anymore. Something I'd like to try is getting just the side racks and drilling some holes and mounting a couple of these pelican style cases and use that for saddlebags: http://seahorsecases.com/

5. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

Hopefully more companies come out with stuff like this for the CRF.

I'm not sure how well these racks would be for mounting Pelican cases. But, they could be a good starting point to be modified for that use. Might have to add to them some to help support the cases better.

Kinda spendy. But here is a good one for whatever you wanna mount on it. http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/290_296/products_id/4840
    I kinda like the fact that I can just take my bags off though and the racks are pretty low profile. That Denali rack looks like it sticks out more.

And I wouldn't go that much without some bracing of the rear subframe.

There is this couple doing an RTW on some CRF250L's. they have custom racks made. http://amsterdamtoanywhere.nl/en/foto/voorbereiding/?album=1&gallery=19

captain canuck likes this.
  6. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

That's a really nice looking rack that couple made, I wonder if they'd be interested in making one for me.

7. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

Looks like they had some shop do them for them. I'd bet the right place local to you could probably come up with something. Be nice if they could incorporate some decent sub-frame bracing into the design as well.

8. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

Yeah I've been thinking a lot lately about going to a welding fab shop to have them build me something and see if it'd be cheaper than buying a rack.

9. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

Even if it is a little more you would have something that is exactly what you want.

10. captain canuck

captain canuck Member

11. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

Those look awesome!

12. CatFlap

CatFlap Member

So far I've been liking the setup. Kind of wish things were a bit more beefy as far as the simple support racks go for the bags. I've bent the left side one during an off with the bags on and loaded. with the bags off though for more "sporty" rides they don't seem to be to in the way and get bent up if it needs to take a nap on the trail though. Kind of a coprimise setup for when you want to take a trip one weekend, then dirtbike it on some single track the next.

So yeah. A bit more stout would be nice, but that adds weight. So a tradeoff. If nothing else it is all a good starting point and I can get my welding skills back up to snuff and make some improvements. But I've been telling myself I'm going to pull the rear subframe and sleeve it or something to strengthen it and I've been too lazy/don't want the bike down for a week or more and a nice day to ride happens. ;)

13. mikectm2

mikectm2 New Member

Plan on gettting a 2016 CRF250L
    Had no idea what kind of storage bag to get
    ..the Wolfman tank bag is looking to be the best.

Only need something to hold wallet, cell phone and maybe a little water.
    Don't feel like wearing a backpack on my back.