Hello From Eastern Tennessee

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Singlespeed92, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Singlespeed92

Singlespeed92 New Member

Hey all. Bought my 2016 new back in April (2017) and have ridden it into or through 6 states so far (obviously TN and VA,living right on the border,LOL! Also KY,WV,NC,and SC). I didn't buy it really for dirt biking (I have dirt bikes for dedicated trail use),but to build myself more of a "mini-ADV" style of bike and commuter,which it's proved to do very well at being,I've put just under 2,900 miles on it so far.

Last week though,it was having shifting issues (it's always shifted a bit notchy since new). Mostly between 3rd and 6th,you would pull the shifter up (clutch pulled in as it's supposed to be),the shift lever would move up like it's supposed to,and when you'd release the clutch,it would either still be in the same gear (unshifted) or in a false nuetral,between gears maybe? Dealer said it's "definitely a warranty issue",said they know what it is (makes me wonder if it's a common issue on these?),and recommened that I just take it back home and ride it until Winter when I'm not riding as much before bringing it in for repair because it will take them 2-3 weeks to get to and do the job. Said something about a shifter fork (I'm not a mechanic,but have a general basic idear of what he was talking about),they'll have to yank the engine out,split the cases to get to it.

Question: Anyone else had this issue,and more importantly,is it something that I can expect to be a recurring problem? Thanks in advance.

Loving the bike for what it is so far,have more on the to-do list (bigger tank,windshield for the highway miles I ride some weeks,changing out the luggage/cases,exhaust/EJK,etc)--assuming this transmission issue isn't recurring (would get expensive if it is,and I'll probably move onto a different bike if that's the case...I hope not,I'd love to hit 100K miles on it some day :) )

5.JPG 10.JPG 13.JPG

2. YYZ_CRF250L

YYZ_CRF250L New Member

Welcome to the forum. I also bought a new 2016 earlier this year and have put about 1000km on it.. No issues to speak of yet.. Can I ask where you got the hard luggage and mounting brackets?

Singlespeed92 likes this.
  3. Singlespeed92

Singlespeed92 New Member

The rear/top rack is Moose Racing's Expedition rack and th etop box was bought at a local repair shop (not a dealership,just a repair and parts shop),IDK the brand but it was about $60 and fits my mini-Igloo cooler/lunch box for work perfectly. The side racks were ordered from dirtracks.com and were about $200 (plus shipping) give or take a few,and the side cases/boxes are Ridged brand "tool organisers" bought at the Home Depot for $30 each,LOL! So far they're working great (especially when the price is compared to the aluminum cases that I wanted :p) and had been waterproof until just today I noticed the left case's water seal (a rubber gasket that runs all around the opening) has somehow gotten mashed flat in one spot and had allowed a bit of water in during recent heavy/steady rains. My guess is the last time I had hauled something in it (was on a moto-camping trip),I must have inadvertantly done that and not known it.

With way the 3 racks mount to the bike,the side racks don't play very well with the Moose Expedition rack. If you can see it in the pics,the right-side case sits off-kilt just a bit. The boxes are mounted symetrically,it's the way the racks are mounted all together. In th enear future,I'll be ordering and swapping on a dirtracks.com top/rear rack (about $100 + shipping),which was designed to work with those side racks as a set and solve that issue (I would have already done so,but we went on vacation back in June--hers was paid,mine unpaid--and I caught strep throat,which tunred into bad broncitis,which led to pnuemonia and missing 3 weeks of work,LOL,so I had a full month of no paydays o_O:p). Those Moose Expedition racks are about $150 online and are great racks,but I figure once I have the new one on hand and installed,I'll eBay mine for about $100 or so.

4. Singlespeed92

Singlespeed92 New Member

I couldn't see the "off-kilt" of the right box in those pics,you can tell it here though... 28.JPG 15.JPG 31.JPG

5. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Welcome, love the rigid side boxes and mountings

6. Singlespeed92

Singlespeed92 New Member

7. wdmalone

wdmalone New Member

Hi, did you ever figure out your shifting issues? I'm having sluggish shifting issues as well. I begin to hear a solid clunk noise immediately after shifting up then precedes to make no noise until shifting up again etc.. But as I get above 3rd more into 6th gear the loss of power becomes noticeable, like a lagging feeling. After steady increase of speed the power will return to normal and the lagging feeling is no more. I don't know if it's worth getting it looked at or if I can fix the issue myself.

8. Singlespeed92

Singlespeed92 New Member

That's not the issue I'm having,and yes I know what it (mine) is. Damaged/faulty shifter fork in the transmission. It doesn't cause any kind of a dragging or loss of power,it causes only shifting issues (popping out of gear,false nuetral in between gears where nuetral isn't,a "ghost shift" when I think I'm in 5th but am really in 6th and I try to upshift instead of the shifter not moving it will click up as if there's another gear,etc). It doesn't do it all the time,it's actually not very often. I can MAKE it do it,but it doesn't do it unless I push it too hard. I ride it regularly while I'm waiting for theright time to take it in for (warranty) repair.

9. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Got it - hope the dealer can get it sorted when you do have a chance to have it in.

Singlespeed92 likes this.
  10. CarGuy451

CarGuy451 New Member

I have the same bike - no shifting issues, yet - but then I rarely get over 2nd gear :)

Lots of dirt roads around here - and most of the time I'm "running" my dog. Union County (north GA) is an awesome destination for 250Ls.

What part of E.TN.? I'm in Blairsville, GA - - - 250L Heaven. See my New-Member-post for more enticing details.