Hello from The Great NorthWest or NorthWet depending on weather

Discussion in 'New Members' started by ADVKTN, Oct 13, 2018.

1. ADVKTN

ADVKTN New Member

Hi My name is Gary, after adventurizing my NC700 Commuter for a on/off road ride this summer up through Northern BC to Stewart then Hyder Alaska. I have had the itch for something better off road. I came across an '83 Yam XT550 and almost pulled the trigger until 1 friend asked if I was getting it out of nostalgia? He has new Africa Twin and also has a 2014 CRF250l and told me the little bikes are a blast and very reasonable $ So I have purchased a 2014 with 10k on her and am looking forward to setting her up and having fun!! Prior to the trip, the last time I had ridden on/off road besides gravel roads was back around 80, 81. I am looking forward to exploring here in Washington on the little bike. Here is my NC right before my trip.
    ADV NC.JPG

superfunkomatic likes this.
  2. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

Smart friend. ;) Glad you bought one. I think you'll love it dude!
    Glad to see you on this forum. How are you getting your bike home? Are you riding it across the country?
    Maybe we can do a Backcountry Discovery Route on our little bikes?

3. ADVKTN

ADVKTN New Member

The ADVKTN should be here between 10-26 & 10-29 then the Farkling begins! I had it shipped from Ft Lauderdale to me 781.00 a bargain..... Defiantly do need to do a backcountry Route!! I am so looking forward to playing with this I have watched a busload of Youtube video's on them and it is going to be fun!!!

4. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

And... you got it? Any photos of your new ride?
    I went out on mine yesterday for a good ol' gravel loop ride. Could be the last ride of the year.

5. ADVKTN

ADVKTN New Member

IMG_3381.JPG

Here she is at work, got her home previous owners had removed the baffle out of the muffler, so I got another exhaust and have installed it, changed oil & filter, air filter and cleaned her up. Now going to verify the gearing, have a givi mount on order so I can use my top box. She runs very well, I am hoping to take her up to
    https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/washington_04652/ride_498d.htm

This weekend to get my off road legs going!

6. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

Beauty bike! Flatland Racing makes a good and relatively cheap bashplate (Flatland Racing Skid Plate) for the bike. Enjoy getting it all farkled and ready to go.

7. ADVKTN

ADVKTN New Member

Spent some time on the new toy, added my top box, heated grips, wind srceen, gps mount. found out the speedo is way off, 48 tooth rear sprocket.....new chain and sprockets on the way can't wait to get realistic gearing.... IMG_3431.JPG IMG_3430.JPG

8. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

Looks really good! Interesting windscreen - where did you get it? Looks like the tires are basically new. 48 tooth? Isn't the stock 40? That would explain the speedo error. Looks like you're ready to go. Have you been out for a spin on it yet? What do you think?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  9. ADVKTN

ADVKTN New Member

Windscreen was an ebay 75.00 shipped from Czech Republic. Tires are good, yes stock is 40 so 1st gear is useless. I have put about 100 miles on it so far, and yes it is a blast to ride even with the crap gearing. I am sure as soon as the chain/sprockets get here she will be getting a lot more use. I still have to wire up the grips and swap tanks I found a new IMS tank msrp $274.95 for $159.84 total on amazon so I snatched it up. A buddy of mine has been letting me know some great routes close by that he jeeps to for fishing and shooting, so I am really looking forward to utilizing the ADVKTN's abilities! Does this make my ass look big ? IMG_3433.JPG IMG_3434.JPG

10. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Welcome