Help! Headlight is out, but high beam works fine!

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by Logan Kemp, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Logan Kemp

Logan Kemp New Member

Has anyone had a problem like this? I have no idea what the problem may be or how to fix it.

As indicated above, when the high beam is not switched on the headlight isn't on. It should be on at all times, and has worked fine up until a week ago. I feel bad riding around with the high beam on at night, but otherwise I have no headlight at all.

I've removed the headlight assembly, checked for loose connections, and adjusted the wiring harness. I don't have a voltage tester, but I'll look into getting one if that might help identify the issue.

The roads here are absolutely terrible, more potholes than tarmac, so it's possible something may have been shaken loose, but I'm not sure what that could be.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

Aren't there two filaments in those bulbs? Is it possible that only the low beam filament is burned out?

3. Logan Kemp

Logan Kemp New Member

I'm not sure about that, I'll take a look. I can probably find a replacement bulb easily enough if that's the case. Thanks!

Edit: After some googling it would seem you are right. Didn't occur to me at all. Thanks. Still gotta check mine, but it matches pictures found online, and nothing else has worked.

4. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

Great! Let us know if that's all it was. Simple fixes are always nice. :D

5. Logan Kemp

Logan Kemp New Member

That's all it was! Thanks again. Better yet the replacement bulb was only $1.50.

6. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Any fix under $2 sounds like a pretty magnificent result. :thumbup: