Improving the front brake

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L General Discussion' started by Paul2129, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Paul2129

Paul2129 New Member

I have a 2017 machine with only around 800 miles on the clock. It's been on trails about a quarter of this distance and the rest on the road or around town. It's still in that (embarrassingly clean) rather new phase, so my issue isn't something like a build up of dirt, but I find the front brake very poor. Sometimes it's ok, when it's hot, or recently used hard, but often when it's cold or first used it's pretty dangerous actually. How can I improve this ? I know it wasn't designed as the most powerful brake in the world, but I would have thought it should be possible to do a stoppie on this bike... and this won't
    I had a CG125 once which took a serious amount of 'running-in' of the front pads, due to it being so light. Is it the case with the CRF ? Or is there anything you'd Reccomended I'd do.
    For your info, I like a good front brake on the road, firstly for safety, and secondly because I like to enjoy myself and ride like a fool sometimes ;)

2. marcusfordus

marcusfordus New Member

My 17 plate wasn't the best either. I've done 1500 commuting miles and the front does it's job just fine now. Maybe the disc and pads do take a while to bed in on the little bike.
    My pads are the blue backed oe Honda ones.

3. Paul2129

Paul2129 New Member

Thanks Marc, good to know, I'll just put the miles in then, hope it improves

Paul

4. Lee6R

Lee6R Member

Just pull the lever harder! ;)

5. Charleyscrfl

Charleyscrfl New Member

I have changed the fluid to motal and it feels better, waiting on a braided line, the original flexes alot.

6. Schnatterinchen

Schnatterinchen Member

According to a german Honda dealer, Thai Honda coated all surfaces with rust-proofing. The dealer is requested to clean up the brakes very carefully. If he fails, you'll get some preservation fluid on the pad surface while using the brake.
    He told me that this is a common problem and if your bike is affected, you should go for new braked pas after cleaning the disc surface.

7. Thai Guy

Thai Guy New Member

Michael is correct...all biked shipped over seas have coatings on surfaces that will corrode. The good news is that, if you think your pads are infused with oil...just remove them and bake them! Place them in the oven when your wife is not home...steel side UP, drip pan below. Gradually bring them up to around 90C (100 F) and check for seepage, or just hold at that temperature for 10 minutes. Drop the temp and allow to cool. Most oils will evaporate.

If they are soaked in brake fluid, you would need 260 °C (500 °F). Maybe not worth the effort?

If you do replace the pads, use semi-metallic. Quieter. Since we are talking braking...do you know how to properly use your front and rear brakes? My polls show that over 80% of bikers do not know.