Insurance (UK) - Bennetts : customer "service"

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by JR45, Jul 20, 2014.

1. JR45

JR45 Member

I have defended Bennetts on various forums in the past - I have been a customer for many years and, personally, have never had any problems with them (although I know others who have had) : until now...
    I renewed my "multi-bike" policy (Ducati ST4 and Laverda 750 Formula) by phone at the beginning of June. Despite asking for the policy documents to be sent by post, they arrived by e-mail. Three weeks after renewing I got a letter saying that I still owed the full amount and if I didn't pay they would cancel the policy. I phoned the "customer service" department and was told, basically, that it was not their fault and that I should check with my bank. Having checked with the bank, I found that Bennetts HAD taken money from my account - over £30 more than they should have done ! I went back to Bennetts, who denied all knowledge of any transaction; they were spectacularly unhelpful and obstructive. My bank supplied the transaction authorisation code, even that wasn't good enough for Bennetts. Their next action was to send me a letter threatening me with a debt collection agency if I didn't pay ! After many e-mails (I gave up trying to e-mail them, they NEVER answer e-mails), several lengthy phone calls and a good deal of work on my part I have finally got them to admit that it was their mistake - no phone call, no letter of apology, just one short e-mail saying I will get a refund and my insurance will not be cancelled. The refund has not yet materialised (surprise, surprise...).
    In the meantime, I tried to add my new Honda CRF on to my "multi-bike" policy - turns out that "multi" isn't what it sounds like. Two is fine - three is far too difficult. They then tried to offer me a separate policy - costing more than the existing policy does. A quick check with the friendly meerkat got me insurance from Saga (one advantage of being old) for less than a third of what Bennetts wanted...
    The upshot is - despite being a Bennetts customer for nearly three decades, this is the last time I will ever use them... Their customer service is nothing short of appalling !

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yes I had a bad experience with them and will never use again.
    I've stuck with Carol Nash for a while and would be prepared to pay a bit more, in fact I was pleasantly surprised adding the CRF to my existing policy last year was only about £30 more.

3. JR45

JR45 Member

It cost an extra £20 to add the Ducati to the Laverda's insurance, so I figured it would be no problem getting the CRF on it too... They couldn't even get me a quote... Rubbish ! And I still haven't got my £30 back either...

4. JR45

JR45 Member

And the most ironic thing is that they have adverts all over the motorcycle press saying how good their customer service is and how they are the most recommended insurer !

5. mattkorguk

mattkorguk Member

Same here, had a bad experience and never went back. Currently with Peter James (as have two 'historic' Honda's as well as the CRF)

6. JR45

JR45 Member

July 17th - "the problem has now been resloved and the refund will be processed back into your account within seven working days".
    August 10th - sixteen working days later - still no sign of the money, so send another snotty e-mail.
    August 11th - "oh yes, very sorry, we'll get right on it..."
    I'm not really expecting anything any time soon, to be honest...

7. AJW United Kingdom

AJW United Kingdom New Member

oh no ! iv just took a new policy with them online. I havnt printed it off yet. ive had no problems over the years but next time il try saga. gotta get used to over 50 ! 53 next year.

8. JR45

JR45 Member

I think what has annoyed me most about this, even more than the fact that they stole £30 from me, is that their attitude is so poor...
    As I said, I have been a loyal customer for years and have defended them in the past on various forums. I accept that occasionally things go wrong; but it's how you deal with the problem that really counts and they have treated a loyal customer with absolute disdain. If they had recognised that they had made a mistake, acknowledged that fact and put the situation right, I would be on here saying how great they were for doing just that. Instead I am here saying that their way of dealing with a problem that they created was truly abysmal !

Alex likes this.
  9. JR45

JR45 Member

Footnote : I did, eventually, get back the money that they owed me... But they still haven't apologised...
    No, I won't be renewing with them...

Alex likes this.
  10. Ges

Ges New Member

I changed bike mid term with them last policy I they charged me more or less the same on top as the original policy one 650 for another,renewal quote was miles more expensive than all my other quotes they've lost me too

11. JR45

JR45 Member

Renewal reminder arrived this week - "We have checked, and got you the best price available..."
    Oh really ? So how come I got it 10% cheaper after five minutes checking on-line ?
    Bye-bye Bennetts !

12. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

How expensive is moto insurance in the scheme of things over there?

13. cowboy

cowboy Member

If you've got at least 2 or 3 years experience it's not that bad unless you live in high risk area.
    I think it's one case where free market competitiveness works quite well.
    I also have a larger road bike with the CRF on a combined policy and it's under £100 a year for basic 'third party fire and theft'
    When I added the CRF it was only about £30 extra but might be more if it was my only bike.

14. JR45

JR45 Member

Maybe it's a "getting older" thing, but I'd never have anything other than fully comprehensive insurance. But one benefit of getting older is that I can actually afford to do that...
    My new policy for the Laverda and Ducati combined, with 9 years NCD is £115. I could have paid a good deal more if I hadn't shopped around a bit. In fact some quotes were nearly ten times that much... As I said in an earlier post, my previous insurer couldn't get a "multi-bike" policy with my two road bikes and the CRF. Maybe when the CRF insurance is due for renewal I'll try getting it added onto my new policy...

15. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yes I was a bit surprised that Carol Nash even do multibike as it seems more difficult to find these days.
    Re Comprehensive I'm more the other way in with my 'getting older' thoughts in that -
    a) I haven't had any incidents since 1986
    b) Could afford to replace myself
    c) Have saved more than the cost of a CRF by using TPFT for 25 years already :p

16. JR45

JR45 Member

Alternatively :
    I haven't had an accident since I started riding in 1981.
    There is no way I could afford to replace any of my bikes if I binned one of them.
    When Fully Comp is as cheap as it is, why bother with TPF&T ?
    Having seen the outcome of accidents involving uninsured or untraceable drivers, and the hassle involved, there is no way I'd take a chance on not having comprehensive insurance. It only take one idiot to completely mess up your day...
    Still, "you pays yer money, you takes yer chances...".

17. JR45

JR45 Member

Just had the renewal quote for the CRF (NOT from Bennetts, it's with Saga).
    £67.84 TPF&T - £73.14 Fully Comp... So, be my reckoning, it would take me 566 years before the difference in cost paid for the CRF...
    I'll stick with fully comp, thanks :)

Alex likes this.