Missing headlight adjuster?

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by weevil, Aug 20, 2015.

1. weevil

weevil New Member

Hello all

I picked up a secondhand CRF last week. Last night was my first ride on it in the dark and had a wonderful view of the road about 20m ahead of me. The manual says to adjust with a screwdriver, but either I have a screw loose, or the bike has a screw missing.

To confirm my sanity, can someone assure me that there should be an adjuster in this photo, presumably with a small gear form somewhere along its length to drive the toothed wheel?

CIMG1461.JPG
    Assuming I'm right, can anyone tell me how said adjuster is retained? Is it worth me trying to source one, or is there a bit of the housing missing? Adjustment isn't actually a problem, because there's an 8mm hex on the back of the toothed wheel, but I suspect that without the missing adjuster to stop the wheel from back-driving, the headlight's just going to vibrate back down from wherever I set it.

I could fabricate some sort of clip to prevent the back-driving, but I'd rather have it as Mr. Honda intended, if possible . . . without the expense of buying a new headlight, obviously.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

weevil

PS As this is my first post, I owe you a brief introduction. I'm in my mid-forties, have been riding since my teens, with an XL125S as my first road bike. I've owned 15 bikes and the CRF is my 5th traillie. Shamefully, I've never used any of them for proper off-road work, largely because I've had to rely on them for commuting. I plan to get the CRF dirty though, as I also have a Tiger 800 (strictly a road bike IMO) and a car if the CRF gets bent. I live, work and (mostly) ride in Cambridgeshire, UK.

2. Paskie_101

Paskie_101 New Member

If I am not mistaken, there's no part to adjust (or adjuster that you mentioned) on this. I usually use a flathead screw driver to adjust the lamp beam. That was before, till I change to a polisport headlamp.

Alex likes this.
  3. michael.kozera

michael.kozera Member

the picture you have is the adjuster gear.

philips screw driver turns the wheel. there should be two of these, one for up and down and one for side to side.

4. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Maybe of interest
    upload_2016-9-25_18-58-55.png

5. Anthony F.

Anthony F. New Member

I have the same issue. I tried moving it yesterday, but the light didn't seem to move. But the gear did seem a little too easy to move. Do I have to push down or something?

6. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Haven't played with that yet - were you able to get it sorted?