My Mods So Far

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by echo5, Apr 12, 2015.

1. echo5

echo5 Member

003.JPG 002.JPG 001.JPG Handlebar risers.

Remove chain guard. (to make cleaning and oil the chain easy!)

Remove mirrors. I use a helmet mirror. Far superior.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  2. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

:thumbup:

3. michael.kozera

michael.kozera Member

why would you remove your chain guard? two things:

1- you should not be oiling your chain from the top, that literally does nothig, the oil will simply sit on the top of the chain and collect dirt. you are suppose to oil the chain from the bottom ( on the inside of the chain) so the oil will flow through the chain and oil the o-rings from centripetal force. that also keeps dirt off the chain longer.

2- with no chain guard your tires are constantly applying dirt onto your chain, thus your chain will wear out extremely fast. not to mention your sprockets will wear out faster too......

this method of oiling your chain is common practice for any bike, sport, dual, dirt, adv, ect ect.

on a side note, i do like the riser. i did the same thing to mine but not as tall (i did 2.5")

4. echo5

echo5 Member

Been doing it this way for the last 20 years and maybe 100,000 miles. The chains last from 15 to 30k miles. Sometimes the front sprocket gets changed with the chain but Ive never changed a rear one. All of my riding is on the road. I thoroughly clean the chain with kerosene or diesel and oil it every 600 miles.

Its much easier to oil and clean the chain without the guard on. At first I removed the guard, then tried removing the guard all together. It does make a mess but I clean everything at 600 mile intervals. Your idea that oiling the top of the chain is somehow bad isn't borne out in my experience.(which is considerable!)

5. michael.kozera

michael.kozera Member

ahh, so you actually clean the entire chain. that's different, i thought you would just oil it over and over with all the dirt and ****.

if you ride off road you have to oil the chain from underneath, and leave chain guard on.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015