New member in Vancouver

Discussion in 'New Members' started by dpwell, Jul 8, 2018.

1. dpwell

dpwell New Member

Hi

I live in Vancouver, BC. I currently own a Honda cb500x and have had this bike around 2.5 years. I've done 3 multi-day road trips on it and am increasingly interested in getting off-pavement. On my last trip, in June, I rode up to Bella Coola and did a fair amount of gravel roads on the 500, including Heckman Hill. I love the 500 but sometimes it feels a tad big for me, so I'm very curious about either getting a 250 as well, or instead of, the 500. At any rate I've signed up for my first dirt bike course, which will be in September. Next summer I'm hoping to do the Dempster Highway, either on the 500 or a 250.

Looking forward to participating in this forum!

Cheers, David

2. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

I was out in the Chilcotin and went to Bella Coola, Gingolx and Stewart this summer. Boy, Heckman Hill is a pretty steep bugger, though nothing compared to the two hills at the Big Bar Ferry. There was about 4" of loose gravel on it, too.
    I have an Africa Twin and the CRF250L. I love them both. If I was going on a ride like this again I'd still take the Africa Twin - better highway machine, carry more stuff, and longer range (still ran out of gas out there though).
    If you're doing trails or really remote riding, I'd pick the CRF250L every time. Just make sure to carry spare fuel.
    I'd be tempted to get the new CRF450L when it comes out. A bit more zip, good fuel economy, excellent offroad and would probably tour a bit better than the 250.

3. dpwell

dpwell New Member

huh, I didn't know there's a 450 coming out. That's cool. How are these bikes so light, as compared to something like the cb500x? Is it aluminium vs. steel frame or something? The cfr bikes are nearly 150 lbs lighter than the X.

Yeah, Heckman was quite an adventure. Someone needs to print a sticker.

4. Schnatterinchen

Schnatterinchen Member

Be careful, the 450 is a competition engine that has to be serviced very frequently. Oil and filter have to be changed every 1,000 km (600 mls) and the engine should be overhauled after 20,000 mls. This is not what you'd expect from a street-legal trail bike. Regarding the fact that the 450 is limited to 25 hp as with the 250, I do not see any reason to go for the 450.

5. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

You're right Schmatterinchen. It's not really a dual sport per se. It's a street legal dirt bike. I'm not sure how well-suited it is to longer trips with the maintenance intervals. I was surprised by that, too. If it had maintenance intervals like the 250L I'd be in. For a local trail and dually bike I think it would be awesome but I'm not so sure about it as a long-distance dual sport bike.

6. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Member

Actually, the 25hp is only limited in Europe/Asia. The North American verson is said to have 'mid-40s HP'. I think mid-40s would be enough to get you anywhere you'd need to go.

7. Schnatterinchen

Schnatterinchen Member

Same with me. When buying the 250 I was impressed by Steph Jeavons ride around the world. I'm riding motorcycles since I am 20, so I still remember the time when a single-pistoned engine had a very poor reliability. A XL250S, for example, has been made for fifteen or twenty thousand miles before the engine needs to be rebuild. I don't want that kind of trouble again.

Regarding the CRF250L, I'm going to change the oil more frequently than every 8,000 mls. Let's say, my target is an oil change at least once a year which means about 2,500 mls. Regarding the small amount of oil, that gives me a clear conscience and it is quite cheap. But I don't like the idea that the CRF450 engine will be worn out after only 20,000 mls (which is what Honda said). Steph Jeavons' CRF250L has done 55,000 mls by now with no issues, so I'm not fussed about the 450s additional power as long as the bike seems to be less reliable.

If I could choose, I'd like to have a CRF350 instead with, let's say, 30 HP which is bullet-proof as the 250 and about 140 kgs including fuel.
    And, of course, it has to be very very cheap (just kidding) ;)

No, I am just fine withe the CRF250L which isn't the only bike I got. So, whenever I'd like to rip of the tarmac or something, I'm going to pick the Hornet :p The CRF is my solution for a dream to come true, travelling the Alps on a trail bike. I guess that I'll be fine with the little bike when starting my journey in 2019.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    superfunkomatic likes this.