Packing for Metcalf again today

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Alex, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Will be heading out tomorrow morning with just me and the little monster. Should be fun! He really seemed to be getting it by the end of the day last weekend, so tomorrow should be even better. Hoping for warm but not too warm temps. :thumbup:

2. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

First injury of the weekend, skinning my finger while attaching the trailer. @&*#@*#()*@ :)

3. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

Today was fun! Just me and the boy, but he quickly made friends with another first grader out on a fifty, and by extension his entire family. Here's a link to a video of him following his new buddy. But for CRF250L content, I had some fun as well. The father asked if I wanted a tow around some of the trails while the kids were playing together back at the van (with the mom and rest of family). I said sure, and we were off. He suggested airing down the tires to 12 psi front 9 psi rear (from the 22f/r they were), to get better grip and the very dry and dusty trails. Most of it was pretty tame, until one very gnarly hill climb. Rutted out, washed out, with large rocks. I was bouncing left and right all the way up, and about 2/3's of the way up I got knocked to the side, and I stalled the bike. I was still upright though, so I restarted and tried to continue. The bike then lost traction, and starting slipping back down the hill, even with the front brake locked. I managed to catch it, and after a few more false attempts with spins and stalls, I got it moving in the right direction, and bumped and bucked my way all the way to the top. Jason said I survived something "well above my current paygrade", for my first time on dirt climbs, as starting on a hill like that isn't the easiest. But I'm glad to be able to say I made it! I'm sure each time I tell the tale I'll describe the hill as steeper and more dangerous. :)