Racetech Spring Kit Question

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L General Discussion' started by CRFan1, Jan 8, 2018.

1. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

Hey guys,

New here and just picked up a 2015 CRF250L to use as a dual sport and take to TN on occasion. The stock suspension is pitiful and I was wanting to do a sort of budget upgrade. Was wondering if anyone has done the Racetech spring kit WITHOUT the gold valve kit? If so how was it?

Thanks!

2. Thai Guy

Thai Guy New Member

Hey CRFan...why no one has responded, is strange, but I just joined this forum. I also have a 2015, but a 250M. Minor differences.

Since nobody offered a response, I will. My friends here have used Racetech fork "upgrades". IMO, the springs are not better than OEM. The "Gold" emulators? Not a fan 25 years ago...and not now. The reason is simple. Do you want a suspension setup for you? Riding/body weight + riding style? The emulators are designed for skinny Ray and fat Bob. That is just not reality.

Think about this, for a budget fix...If too much front mush, first try an oil mix that is heavier than stock. I use a combo of 10wt and 15 wt in my TRX forks, to make 12.5. Further, consider cheap adapters for some adjustment. My friend has an Ohlins kit that has heavier springs and oil, plus a better tuned valve set for offroad, (stiff for road work), and has vent caps on the ends. (not sure of the function, yet.

Regardless, there are always inexpensive options. Not always fixes...

Chris likes this.
  3. rc1029

rc1029 New Member

Hi Thai Guy.
    I am in Chiang Mai and just bought a CRF250L with supermoto wheels and tires. I intend to road ride only on our local curvy mountain roads. I saw a Ohlins spring and top cap set with air vent + with Ohlins oil... but no valve change. Thought it might be a good enough upgrade for the front end to improve the road ride.... Do you know anyone who has tried it?

4. Thai Guy

Thai Guy New Member

Yes! The Ohlin's kit is very good. If you are riding primarily street and smoother trails it is great. Two springs. One for lighter riders, one for heavier. The CRF fork only dampens on one side. I do not have one, but have ridden a few. I have few issues with the forks for the riding I do. The rear shock for me is the bigger problem. That Ohlin's fork kit is far better for your money than the Racetech stuff. If not going off road much you will love it.
    I have supermoto wheels, but am going to switch the tires to some better dual sport or hard compound dirt track tread. Good in rain, good on street, ok on dirt and light mud.
    The CM to Pai to Mae Hong Son and around back to CM is fun! We lived in Pai for a few years. In fact, I bought my bike in Mae Rim.

5. rc1029

rc1029 New Member

Thanks so much for the advice. That helps alot. I have already installed a YSS shock on the rear... and it is a great upgrade. About $300. I used to race motocross when younger and like good suspension. I also have a Triumph Street Triple R with an Ohlins shock that I really like....
    And I think the fairly simple YSS shock really makes a difference in bump absorption and cornering stability..... very worth the money at a cheap price.
    Looks like I may add the Ohlins fork kit now also... but it is sure hard to resist also revalving the forks....=)