Road type tires for crf250l

Discussion in '2012+ CRF250L Tech Talk' started by echo5, Dec 18, 2014.

1. echo5

echo5 Member

I want to put something like a Trailwing on mycrf. What are people using that isn't an MX type tire?

Thanks!

2. Alex

Alex crf250l.org dude

I've seen a number of pics of supermoto conversions, with street tires or even stickier track tires, but I'm not sure if I've seen them with the stock rim setup. Are you planning to swap out the rims as well?

3. shiredevon

shiredevon Member

I like the dunlop 604, i find i get too many punctures with knobbly's

4. echo5

echo5 Member

No keep the rims and find tires to fit. I did that with my 2001 BMW F650. They were Dunlop tires for Harley Davidsons. 404 or something?

5. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

I went with the motard conversion because I like the look, but for sure there are plenty of street tires out there to fit the stock rims.

You can start here:

http://www.revzilla.com/harley-tires

Choose your rim size etc to sort and try to find a matching front/rear. I would recommend against mixing brands/types.

6. mattkorguk

mattkorguk Member

I have the Michelin Sirac on mine, much more suited to tarmac but not completly slick! Had no issues so far, although still a little slippy on the frosty roads this morning.

7. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

I need to learn how to change rims so I can get a set of street tires on 17" rims AND keep the stock rims with some nicer off-road tires. Is it easy to swap them out? How long would yall say to swap out both front and rear rims?

8. TTOversteer

TTOversteer Member

Changing the wheels is easy. The most difficult part of the operation is aligning the rear wheel, but the marks on the swingarm make this a simple task.

With a proper stand or lift, a pro could probably change out both front and rear wheels in 5-10 minutes.

9. Vman1313

Vman1313 Member

A pro 5-10 minutes translates into an hour for me....HAHAHAHA!!! I just need watch someone once and then practice.

Alex likes this.